Re: Oh Peter, Peter, Peter Beagle...

  • Mary Kay Kare
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 3, 2000
      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > From: Stolzi@...
      >
      > In a message dated 1/3/00 11:16:14 AM Central Standard Time,
      > mwinslow@... writes:
      >
      > > Beagle creates her as a real character before
      > > 'sidetracking' (as it were) with the actual storyline.
      >
      > Imnsho, he didn't need to spend that much time on it. And the little
      > rambling verbal asides meant to establish Jenny's character and her
      > "realness" were so over-frequent that I was almost at the point of yelling at
      > the book, "Shut UP, girl!" :)
      >
      > An interesting exercise wd be to xerox those first chapters and go at them
      > with a blue-pencil, see how much really NEEDS to be there to do the
      > establishing.

      Interesting. I didn't have any trouble at all with the beginning being slow.
      ONe of the things I enjoy most about fiction is getting to know people I'd
      otherwise never encounter. And that's what we were doing with the long
      beginning. I guess I just liked hanging ou? with those people and wasn't
      waiting imaptiently for the 'fantasy' to start.

      > And again I say -- "How did Evan meet Sally in the first place?"

      Well, gee, maybe he just liked hanging out with musicians. I do it a lot and I
      was (when I worked) a librarian. I have a vague memory that he was in the US on
      business and they met somehow through the musical connection.

      > Had I been editing it, too, Sally would have been "Mom." There's too many
      > names and roles to keep straight, what with Jenny's NYC friends, and her UK
      > friend we've not even =met= yet, "Meena," whom she keeps referring to...
      > Even though the kind of girl Jenny is might well call her mother "Sally,"
      > "Mom" would have placed her and put her in her role with much less effort for
      > the reader.
      >
      > In Susan Cooper's THE BOGGART, I had the same trouble with daughter Emily and
      > mother Maggie. ("Which one is it this time!?!?") That one's told in the
      > third person, though. If Maggie had been referred to as "Mrs..." more often,
      > it would have helped. I think it's all right to call such a character
      > "Mother" or "Mrs" when the book is so definitely a juvenile, and Maggie is so
      > definitely married. But I suppose authors are scared of running into the
      > whole Mrs/Ms problem.

      I didn't have this problem with TAMSIN but I know what you mean. The book I
      most recently had that happen with was Pat Murphy's THERE AND BACK AGAIN. I
      couldn't keep the sibs straight, but then, I couldn't keep the dwarves straight
      in THE HOBBIT either. Still have trouble after all the re-readings in the past
      30+ years.
      MK
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 3, 2000
        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > From: Stolzi@...
        >
        > In a message dated 1/2/00 7:01:06 PM Central Standard Time,
        > unicorn@... writes:
        >
        > > The only thing I recall disappointed by in TAMSIN was that it had
        > > to end.
        >
        > But didn't you find that it took a long time starting? This was one of the
        > few criticisms that I - and many reader-reviewers on amazon.com - had. Too
        > much background, too much rambling in the (startlingly accurate) voice of the
        > teen girl narrator. Too long before they get to the farm and the
        > strangenesses begin to appear.
        >
        > Mary S

        Yes, it took too long to get to the farm. I was rather dismayed at the
        actions of the narrator while she was in New York. With her drug use
        and disdain for authority, she was headed in the wrong direction. I
        shudder to think what might have become of her if her mother hadn't
        taken her to Britain. I certainly was uninterested in the character in
        those early chapters.

        Berni
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 4, 2000
          bernip@... writes:

          > With her drug use
          > and disdain for authority, she was headed in the wrong direction. I
          > shudder to think what might have become of her if her mother hadn't
          > taken her to Britain.

          Where, as best I recall, she never even tried to get a connection or to
          light up. Does this mean that tougher schoolwork, hard field work, or being
          entertained by ghosts (I'm not sure which) removes the desire for weed? :)

          Mary S
        • Mary Kay Kare
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 8, 2000
            Stolzi@... wrote:

            > From: Stolzi@...
            >
            > In a message dated 1/3/00 8:59:05 PM Central Standard Time,
            > bernip@... writes:
            >
            > > With her drug use
            > > and disdain for authority, she was headed in the wrong direction. I
            > > shudder to think what might have become of her if her mother hadn't
            > > taken her to Britain.
            >
            > Where, as best I recall, she never even tried to get a connection or to
            > light up. Does this mean that tougher schoolwork, hard field work, or being
            > entertained by ghosts (I'm not sure which) removes the desire for weed? :)

            I didn't find her occasional marijuana use, or disdain for authority,
            particularly disturbing or even noteworthy for a teen-ager living in NYC in the
            late 90's. I do sort of wonder what explains the total lack of interest in a
            little pot once she gets to England. Perhaps a different social milieu and all
            those adjustments?

            MK