Re: [mythsoc] plots and pocket framistans

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 14, 2003
      Well, yeah, who ARE the foes? We never see them. And the Rangers are
      awfully few and far between, it seems, to lay down an effective defense
      perimeter
      for Bree and its outlying farmers. Don't you think? Where's their base? Who
      takes care of their wounded? Who bears them children to become the next
      generation of Rangers? etc etc etc >>

      Roaming orcs? Wights loose at night? How many Rangers are there anyway?
      Are they only permitted to mate with women of appropriate lineage in order
      to continue their line?

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • John C. Meyers
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 15, 2003
        Just saw this in today's NYTimes email (free registration required; link
        isn't free in about a week):

        Going at the Changes in, Ya Know, English
        By EMILY EAKIN
        In his new book, "Doing Our Own Thing," the linguist and
        cultural critic John McWhorter paints an elaborate picture
        of a culture in linguistic upheaval.

        <http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/15/arts/15JOHN.html>

        Once again, mythies are ahead of the curve!

        John (lurker since the GEnie days)