Re: [mythsoc] plots and pocket framistans

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 10, 2003
      Probably not an exact quote - I never trusted a man who spelled a word
      the same way twice. - Mark Twain.

      He was actually putting down the "Highly Educated" who would put down
      the common man whose spelling was not as dictionary perfect but whose
      thoughts were none the less valid and well said (if not well spelled).

      Though I have to admit, I think that English spelling could be
      simplified from what it currently is. Night and Nite for example. I
      don't prounounce the gutteral in Night unless speaking Old/Middle
      English and need it for a rhyming or rhythm reason. And I don't think
      anyone else here does either.

      And we must remember that the shorthand used in text messaging in e-mail
      or on our cell phones is just that, short hand. I've typed things into
      my cell phone and if "C U L8R" takes care of it, all the better. And I
      Like <BEG>! ;-) That's Big Evil Grin and a Wink for those still
      learning the short hand.

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa
    • John C. Meyers
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 15, 2003
        Just saw this in today's NYTimes email (free registration required; link
        isn't free in about a week):

        Going at the Changes in, Ya Know, English
        By EMILY EAKIN
        In his new book, "Doing Our Own Thing," the linguist and
        cultural critic John McWhorter paints an elaborate picture
        of a culture in linguistic upheaval.

        <http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/15/arts/15JOHN.html>

        Once again, mythies are ahead of the curve!

        John (lurker since the GEnie days)