Re: [mythsoc] plots and pocket framistans

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 10, 2003
      Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

      > John McWhorter has a book called *Doing our Own Thing: The Degradation
      > of Language and Music and Why We Should, Like, Care.* It speaks to the
      > very issue of why average eighth grade educated Civil War soldiers
      > could write and speak so well. ---djb >>
      >
      > And I see it is 30% off on amazon. You've read it, heard good things
      > about it, or just seen it among the new titles this fall? Hmm.

      I haven't read it, but I thought highly of another book on his
      about language, =The Power of Babel,= so I'm making a note to
      look out for this one. McWhorter is a professional linguist
      himself, FWIW, and he also writes well.

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • John C. Meyers
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 15, 2003
        Just saw this in today's NYTimes email (free registration required; link
        isn't free in about a week):

        Going at the Changes in, Ya Know, English
        By EMILY EAKIN
        In his new book, "Doing Our Own Thing," the linguist and
        cultural critic John McWhorter paints an elaborate picture
        of a culture in linguistic upheaval.

        <http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/15/arts/15JOHN.html>

        Once again, mythies are ahead of the curve!

        John (lurker since the GEnie days)