Re: [mythsoc] plots and pocket framistans

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 10, 2003
      At 08:30 AM 11/10/2003 , Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
      >I didn't think it was the diction that Stolzi was referring to. But what
      >could sparrows do to free him? >>
      >
      >Why, encourage him to keep trying, not to give up.

      Yes, and that's what they did. What I meant was, they couldn't do anything
      more than that because they were physically incapable of freeing him
      themselves.

      - David Bratman
    • John C. Meyers
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 15, 2003
        Just saw this in today's NYTimes email (free registration required; link
        isn't free in about a week):

        Going at the Changes in, Ya Know, English
        By EMILY EAKIN
        In his new book, "Doing Our Own Thing," the linguist and
        cultural critic John McWhorter paints an elaborate picture
        of a culture in linguistic upheaval.

        <http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/15/arts/15JOHN.html>

        Once again, mythies are ahead of the curve!

        John (lurker since the GEnie days)