RE: [mythsoc] plots and pocket framistans

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 10, 2003
      John McWhorter has a book called *Doing our Own Thing: The Degradation of
      Language and Music and Why We Should, Like, Care.* It speaks to the very
      issue of why average eighth grade educated Civil War soldiers could write
      and speak so well. ---djb

      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 15, 2003
        Just saw this in today's NYTimes email (free registration required; link
        isn't free in about a week):

        Going at the Changes in, Ya Know, English
        By EMILY EAKIN
        In his new book, "Doing Our Own Thing," the linguist and
        cultural critic John McWhorter paints an elaborate picture
        of a culture in linguistic upheaval.

        <http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/15/arts/15JOHN.html>

        Once again, mythies are ahead of the curve!

        John (lurker since the GEnie days)