RE: [mythsoc] plots and pocket framistans

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 10, 2003
      It does seem to me sometimes that just because Harry's such
      a success, the books get subjected to an unwarranted amount of terribly
      serious criticism. >>

      I will heartily second that.

      Perhaps we need to be a little more critical, sometimes, in the sense of
      expecting more from those to whom more is given, but on the whole, I think
      it's unnecessary.

      And thank you for your thoughts on diction. Even today, I think we may
      take more care, sometimes, to our thoughts in journals than to idle
      conversation. And then there's the lost art of correspondence, slain by
      the easy speed of email.

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • John C. Meyers
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 15, 2003
        Just saw this in today's NYTimes email (free registration required; link
        isn't free in about a week):

        Going at the Changes in, Ya Know, English
        By EMILY EAKIN
        In his new book, "Doing Our Own Thing," the linguist and
        cultural critic John McWhorter paints an elaborate picture
        of a culture in linguistic upheaval.

        <http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/15/arts/15JOHN.html>

        Once again, mythies are ahead of the curve!

        John (lurker since the GEnie days)