RE: [mythsoc] Of Sitcom Plots and Pocket Framistans: The Trouble with Rowling...

  • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2003
      Forgive me if I caused offense by my comments, I meant none. I truncated
      much of what I wished to say, and refrained from specifics about the most
      recent book so as not to spoil it. Some of the concerns expressed in the
      original post are directly addressed in the last half of the book. If, as
      has been expressed by subsequent posts, you would have found some the
      plotlines just as annoying as a child as you do now, please understand that
      I would not have. Up until my own adolescence my favorite books were Tom
      Swift books. Regardless of that I believe that there are few devices a
      writer can use to invoke strong emotion in children, one of which is the
      frustration of being ignored by adults, or more precisely the "perception"
      that they are being ignored by adults. Since emotion is the best way of
      keeping attention, especially in the young, I find Rowlings use of this
      device completely acceptable. I would just like to end by clarifying that I
      believe the largest problem for adults reading the Potter series is one of
      experience not of quality. For a child keeping the emotional kinetic from
      one wonder to the next is of paramount importance.