plots and pocket framistans

  • Jane Bigelow
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 9, 2003
      Diamond Proudfoot wrote:

      "Peter got stuck and was in grave danger of capture -

      "his sobs were overheard by some friendly sparrows, who flew to him in great
      excitement, and implored him to exert himself."

      What modern Children's Book Editor would let that stand?"

      In fairness to modern Children's Book Editors, I'd like to point out that
      in Beatrix Potter's day many people used more formal diction in regular
      life than we're likely to hear on all but the most formal occasions today.
      One thing that struck me when I watched the Ken Burns Civil War series
      (another continent and slightly earlier time, but relevant) was how
      beautifully people with little formal education often expressed themselves
      in their letters and diaries. Peter Rabbit's original young readers might
      actually have heard someone speaking in that style, seriously; I doubt most
      children today ever have. That's too bad, but an editor or writer who's
      trying for a contemporary tone will have to keep it in mind or risk
      unintended humor. I remember reading an early novel--was it Mysteries of
      Udolpho?--and bursting into giggles when the heroine haughtily rejected a
      man who had seized her violently by the hand. That was not the way to win
      her affections!

      Currently I'm reading a lot of complaints about the repetitiousness of
      Rowling's work. When the first reviews of HP V came out, there were
      numerous complaints about the changes. It's darker, Harry whines too much,
      the adults are even more distant and irresponsible, and, OH NO, Harry's
      turning into a teenager.

      Series readers generally want *some* repetition. Rowling uses a bit much
      for my taste. It does seem to me sometimes that just because Harry's such
      a success, the books get subjected to an unwarranted amount of terribly
      serious criticism.

      Jane
    • John C. Meyers
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 15, 2003
        Just saw this in today's NYTimes email (free registration required; link
        isn't free in about a week):

        Going at the Changes in, Ya Know, English
        By EMILY EAKIN
        In his new book, "Doing Our Own Thing," the linguist and
        cultural critic John McWhorter paints an elaborate picture
        of a culture in linguistic upheaval.

        <http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/15/arts/15JOHN.html>

        Once again, mythies are ahead of the curve!

        John (lurker since the GEnie days)