Re: [mythsoc] Of Sitcom Plots and Pocket Framistans: The Trouble with Rowling...

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 9, 2003
      In a message dated 11/9/2003 9:56:54 AM Central Standard Time,
      juliet@... writes:

      > when
      > people think that books intended for children need not adhere to the same
      > standards of quality as those intended for adults.

      A friend was quoting PETER RABBIT to me just the other day (seems there's
      been a wonderful exhibit of original Potter - Beatrix that is! - paintings and
      ms. in Toronto lately, which she got to see) - anyway, I was struck by Beatrix
      Potter's refusal to condescend to her audience.

      Peter got stuck and was in grave danger of capture -

      "his sobs were overheard by some friendly sparrows, who flew to him in great
      excitement, and implored him to exert himself."

      What modern Children's Book Editor would let that stand?

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2003
        On Nov 9, 2003, at 8:15 PM, The Yeti ! wrote:

        > If you start a discussion, you shouldn't be surprised when people
        > argue a point with you !

        That's fine, if people will only argue the _actual_ point. For example:

        > Anyway, the books are (at least to start with) aimed at children. As
        > such its a common theme that adults are stupid while the kids are
        > smart. I'm sure someone could list a hundred or so kid's books where
        > this is the case. Rowling ain't the first, and she's ain't going to be
        > the last.

        Wendell never said Rowling was the first to do this. In fact, his point
        was exactly that this tired trope is become such an obvious and lazy
        cliche that a writer should know better than to haul it out yet again.

        And personally, I daresay that constantly portraying adults as stupid
        does kids no favor. Quite the opposite.
      • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 10, 2003
          Forgive me if I caused offense by my comments, I meant none. I truncated
          much of what I wished to say, and refrained from specifics about the most
          recent book so as not to spoil it. Some of the concerns expressed in the
          original post are directly addressed in the last half of the book. If, as
          has been expressed by subsequent posts, you would have found some the
          plotlines just as annoying as a child as you do now, please understand that
          I would not have. Up until my own adolescence my favorite books were Tom
          Swift books. Regardless of that I believe that there are few devices a
          writer can use to invoke strong emotion in children, one of which is the
          frustration of being ignored by adults, or more precisely the "perception"
          that they are being ignored by adults. Since emotion is the best way of
          keeping attention, especially in the young, I find Rowlings use of this
          device completely acceptable. I would just like to end by clarifying that I
          believe the largest problem for adults reading the Potter series is one of
          experience not of quality. For a child keeping the emotional kinetic from
          one wonder to the next is of paramount importance.