Re: [mythsoc] Of Sitcom Plots and Pocket Framistans: The Trouble with Rowling...

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 9, 2003
      In a message dated 11/9/2003 9:57:08 AM Central Standard Time,
      juliet@... writes:

      > if we as adults provide them
      > with good quality literature from a young age, they will, like Wendell,
      > be bothered by the shortcomings of literature containing glaring oversights.
      > If they're not bothered, we can blame ourselves as adults for not exposing
      > them to enough higher quality literature.

      In the best of all possible worlds--yes. But in this world the fight is often
      to get them to read at all. It's better IMHO to let them find out that
      reading is FUN and gradually move on to recognizing good and bad--it's what happened
      to me and to everyone I know who loves literature (I shudder at some of the
      things I thought were good back then). I honestly think kids read what they
      need to read--I mean they seem to know what they're ready for, much more than the
      adults in their lives, however close and wise these may be. Don't worry--good
      taste will come.

      Anne

    • The Yeti !
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2003
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 11/9/2003 4:19:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > darancgrissom@s... writes:
        >
        > > You are aware these books are intended for
        children...right? . . . (Also
        > > finishing the book might help).
        >
        > I would have been just as bothered by this as a child as I am as
        an adult.
        > Idiots who didn't listen to other people bothered me then just as
        much as it
        > does now. And I have read dutifully every word of every book so
        far, so please
        > don't harass me about finishing the books. I'm in the middle of
        reading it.
        > I've just paused in this book long enough to write this post. The
        problems
        > I've mentioned have bothered me right from the beginning of the
        first book.

        > Wendell Wagner

        If you start a discussion, you shouldn't be surprised when people
        argue a point with you !

        Anyway, the books are (at least to start with) aimed at children. As
        such its a common theme that adults are stupid while the kids are
        smart. I'm sure someone could list a hundred or so kid's books where
        this is the case. Rowling ain't the first, and she's ain't going to
        be the last.

        Yeti.
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2003
          In a message dated 11/9/2003 10:39:37 AM Central Standard Time,
          dbratman@... writes:

          > the
          > repetitiousness is beginning to get to me.

          Same here.

          I have just been re-reading Vol I and I think it is so successful (w/me at
          least) BECAUSE you're being introduced to all these strange, new, and (often)
          funny things which later will just be part of Stock In Trade.

          I was absolutely exhilarated when Hagrid burst through the door of The Little
          House on the Island and was described. It's not the first time we've seen
          him, but he comes into focus much more vividly, and I recalled at that moment
          what a pleasure it was to get to know him back in 1997 when Rowling's world was
          all new to us. (And he's one of my favorite characters in the books, anyway.)

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 9, 2003
            In a message dated 11/9/2003 9:56:54 AM Central Standard Time,
            juliet@... writes:

            > when
            > people think that books intended for children need not adhere to the same
            > standards of quality as those intended for adults.

            A friend was quoting PETER RABBIT to me just the other day (seems there's
            been a wonderful exhibit of original Potter - Beatrix that is! - paintings and
            ms. in Toronto lately, which she got to see) - anyway, I was struck by Beatrix
            Potter's refusal to condescend to her audience.

            Peter got stuck and was in grave danger of capture -

            "his sobs were overheard by some friendly sparrows, who flew to him in great
            excitement, and implored him to exert himself."

            What modern Children's Book Editor would let that stand?

            Diamond Proudbrook

          • Carl F. Hostetter
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 9, 2003
              On Nov 9, 2003, at 8:15 PM, The Yeti ! wrote:

              > If you start a discussion, you shouldn't be surprised when people
              > argue a point with you !

              That's fine, if people will only argue the _actual_ point. For example:

              > Anyway, the books are (at least to start with) aimed at children. As
              > such its a common theme that adults are stupid while the kids are
              > smart. I'm sure someone could list a hundred or so kid's books where
              > this is the case. Rowling ain't the first, and she's ain't going to be
              > the last.

              Wendell never said Rowling was the first to do this. In fact, his point
              was exactly that this tired trope is become such an obvious and lazy
              cliche that a writer should know better than to haul it out yet again.

              And personally, I daresay that constantly portraying adults as stupid
              does kids no favor. Quite the opposite.
            • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 10, 2003
                Forgive me if I caused offense by my comments, I meant none. I truncated
                much of what I wished to say, and refrained from specifics about the most
                recent book so as not to spoil it. Some of the concerns expressed in the
                original post are directly addressed in the last half of the book. If, as
                has been expressed by subsequent posts, you would have found some the
                plotlines just as annoying as a child as you do now, please understand that
                I would not have. Up until my own adolescence my favorite books were Tom
                Swift books. Regardless of that I believe that there are few devices a
                writer can use to invoke strong emotion in children, one of which is the
                frustration of being ignored by adults, or more precisely the "perception"
                that they are being ignored by adults. Since emotion is the best way of
                keeping attention, especially in the young, I find Rowlings use of this
                device completely acceptable. I would just like to end by clarifying that I
                believe the largest problem for adults reading the Potter series is one of
                experience not of quality. For a child keeping the emotional kinetic from
                one wonder to the next is of paramount importance.
                darancgrissom@... writes:

                > You are aware these books are intended for children...right? . . . (Also
                > finishing the book might help).

                I would have been just as bothered by this as a child as I am as an adult.
                Idiots who didn't listen to other people bothered me then just as much as
                it
                does now. And I have read dutifully every word of every book so far, so
                please
                don't harass me about finishing the books. I'm in the middle of reading
                it.
                I've just paused in this book long enough to write this post. The
                problems
                I've mentioned have bothered me right from the beginning of the first
                book.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor