RE: [mythsoc] Of Sitcom Plots and Pocket Framistans: The Trouble with Rowling's Plotting

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 9, 2003
      Well, okay. Some of these complaints are pretty legit, but as has been
      pointed out, it's actually a familiar experience to be in the right and
      have nobody believe you. And as a kid, or, worse, an adolescent, life is
      very much like that. I haven't picked up book #5 yet, but I'm only human,
      and I'm awfully adolescent, so the POV of the beleaguered adolescent would
      seem to make sense, at least sometimes.

      I do agree with wanting to keep juvenile fiction to some kind of standards.
      Just sorting through the stuff offered by the primary school libraries, and
      the Scholastic take-home papers, can be enough to make one pretty upset.

      And pick as we want, Ms Rowling is a successful gal. Remind me if I ever
      get published to turn off my list mail.

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 9, 2003
        Right through book 5, we have a very puzzling portrayal of
        Dumbledore who is acting totally different from how he was in earlier books.
        He's cold and unresponsive and doesn't seem to care about Harry. This is
        all from Harry's point of view. It's not until the end of the book that we
        find out why Dumbledore has behaved like this. >>

        PLEASE tell me that we find out the scoop about Snape. I will read that
        book sooner rather than later if I have some sort of carrot reward to look
        forward to.

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 9, 2003
          On Nov 9, 2003, at 11:31 AM, David S. Bratman wrote:

          > But it's not unrealistic. I am very VERY used to people disbelieving
          > or
          > ignoring everything I say, and portraying themselves as idiots as,
          > frequently eschewing actual arguments, they insult and abuse me in
          > absurd
          > terms

          Yeah, the Internet is quite frustrating that way, ennit? ;)
        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 10, 2003
            In a message dated 11/9/3 3:30:40 AM, Wendell Wagner wrote:

            <<There
            doesn't seem to be any bounds to the magic that can be performed in Rowling's
            universe. >>

            You may change your mind about this particular point once you actually finish
            the book. One of the main things Harry learns in this volume is that there
            *are* rigorous bounds to what magic can do.
            Alexei
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 10, 2003
              From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

              > PLEASE tell me that we find out the scoop about Snape. I will read that
              > book sooner rather than later if I have some sort of carrot reward to look
              > forward to.

              Well, in a way. Harry sees Snape as a student and gets an understanding of
              why Snape is so distrustful of him.

              Berni