Re: [mythsoc] Shippey's Road

  • Jane Bigelow
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2003
      At 05:07 PM 11/1/03 -0500, you wrote:

      >> After all, one likes to think that Mom and Dad didn't spend all that
      money on my education for nothing, that what potential I may have will not
      go entirely to waste.

      > Lizzie Triano
      > lizziewriter@...
      > amor vincit omnia

      Lizzie,

      Most of the people in my library school class were over thirty, some of us
      quite a lot over. I was much too busy to fret about turnign forty. Also,
      I've worked with students as a librarian, and some of the best I
      encountered were returning students. I don't have children myself, but
      from observing my friends I'd say that it gives you an advanced course in
      time management! You may find yourself a better scholar when you return.
      Don't give up!

      Jane
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2003
        In a message dated 11/1/2003 12:07:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        lizziewriter@... writes:

        > Is Prof. Shippey still hale and teaching, that I could write to
        > him?

        It appears so. Here's his academic homepage:

        <A HREF="http://www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/ENG/faculty/shippey.html">http://www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/ENG/faculty/shippey.html</A>

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2003
          It appears so. Here's his academic homepage: >>

          Thank you, Wendell. St Louis, as in Missouri? That is closer than Oxford,
          if less fun to visit and about as likely for a commute. I will keep
          looking around the website and see if they have special events or lectures
          on tape.

          The closest college here is Western Connecticut State University, and it
          does have some good courses. Fordham has delicious offerings, but it's
          rather far for regular commuting.

          Thank you, Jane, for the good observations earlier. How many folks onlist
          have gone back to college post-kids? Have you found that your minds were
          different? I seem to have developed at least some of the critical thinking
          I lacked, but I still need to learn basic rhetoric (hence the rambling
          emails) and the ability to draw my own conclusions. Well, perhaps first I
          should go to E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, if Michael Bugeja is still
          there. I've long been a fan of his (I'm not sure if he still does a poetry
          or poetics column in Writer's Digest magazine, but he used to).

          Lizzie Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia