Observations from the web

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2003
      I found this on a weblog belonging to one Mary Borsellino:

    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2003
        Probably a 15 year old who never gets out of the house, because she's on
        line for six hours a night. I do note that she knows Bombadil was in the
        book. We can hope she actually read the thing. Is that too much to hope
        for? ---djb

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2003
          In a message dated 10/30/2003 7:23:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          dianejoy@... writes:
          I do note that she knows Bombadil was in the
          book. We can hope she actually read the thing. Is that too much to hope
          for?
          Well, since she knows that Rosie the Barmaid is a Jackson invention, it seems
          clear to me that she *did* read the book.

          Susan

        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 30, 2003
            I think perhaps Diane misread the message slightly? The poster was making
            a snide criticism of the game designers. The game designers were claiming
            that their game was based on the book, not the movie. They pointed to
            their inclusion of Bombadil (who is, as Diane notes, in the book but not in
            the movie) as proof of this. But the poster was amused to note that the
            game also made Rosie a barmaid, which (as Susan notes) is in the movie but
            not in the book. All clear now?

            And Susan wondered once why I go to the movies. Well, see, if I didn't
            know the movie, I wouldn't have gotten the poster's joke.

            - David Bratman