Re: LOTR, the Musical

  • Patrick H. Wynne
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 24, 2003
      Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:

      > The Indian Film Industry is concentrated in Mumbai (Was Bombay).
      > Thus it was nicknamed Bollywood (with a B for Bombay) years ago.
      > They make hundreds of films every year and actually put
      > Hollywood to shame with the volume. Indians go to the movies
      > the way America did in the 30s, in other words a lot. Most movies
      > have songs in them (musical isn't completely accurate since they
      > will only have 1-3 per movie and they aren't always any part of
      > the plot).

      And don't forget -- your average Bollywood movie is usually three
      hours long! Mumbai moviegoers expect a lot of bang for their
      rupee, and filmmakers try to produce movies that will have a
      little something for everybody (an approach called "masala"):
      romance, action, low comedy, and of course singing and dancing.

      Things get really interesting when this formula is applied to remakes
      of American movies (a common practice). In January I was in San
      Francisco for the MacWorld conference, and got to go to a theater
      (the Naz 8 in Fremont) that shows first-run Bollywood movies.
      I saw KAANTE ('Thorns'), a Bollywood remake of -- believe it or
      not -- RESERVOIR DOGS, complete with bloody bank-heist gone
      wrong, cop-torture, crooks betraying crooks, _and_ lots of song-
      and-dance numbers! It actually worked, since most of the musical
      numbers were presented as performances in a night club operated
      by one of the characters, though there was one point at which the
      crooks themselves sang a humorous song about what they
      were going to do with all their loot.

      I really love Bollywood!

      -- Patrick H. Wynne