Re: Kathryn Lindskoog

  • Patrick H. Wynne
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2003
      Mary asked, regarding the sad news that Kathryn Lindskoog has passed
      away:

      > Kathryn was the author of several Lewis-related books, and a guest
      > at some early Mythopoeic Society conferences. Does anyone know
      > if she attended any others besides V in 1974 (scholar Guest of
      > Honor) and XIII in 1982 (special guest)?

      Kay was also at Mythcon XVII in Long Beach, CA in 1986. It was where
      I met her in person for the first time. Kay and her husband John
      spirited me away from the conference for a couple hours to treat me
      to a motor tour of the area. I'll never forget that ride -- sitting
      in the back of the Lindskoogs' car, my mouth hanging open in
      amazement as Kay, smiling over her shoulder from the front
      passenger seat, filled me in on her theories about Walter Hooper
      and the Lewis Estate. Two years later those theories formed the
      basis of her controversial book "The C.S. Lewis Hoax", which was
      the first book I ever illustrated.

      I'm still pretty stunned to learn of Kay's death. I owe her a greater
      debt than I can ever put into words -- she was an enthusiastic
      advocate for my aspirations as an artist, always proposing me
      to publishers as her first choice as an illustrator. But mostly
      when I think of Kay I think of her humor, her boundless generosity
      of spirit (especially towards those who were _least_ generous to her),
      her marvellously sharp and constantly curious mind, and her heroic
      refusal to let her multiple sclerosis stop her from producing volume
      after volume of her wonderful, clear, and witty writing.

      It was a privilege to have Kay as a friend; I'll miss her.

      -- Patrick H. Wynne