Kathryn Lindskoog

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2003
      Kathryn was the author of several Lewis-related books, and a guest at some
      early Mythopoeic Society conferences. Does anyone know if she attended any
      others besides V in 1974 (scholar Guest of Honor) and XIII in 1982 (special
      guest)?

      Kathryn suffered from multiple sclerosis which eventually caused her death.

      A friend of hers relates

      "I spoke to Kathryn's husband John this evening. She has been in hospice care
      at home, and she died peacefully at home. She was comatose for the last
      couple of days. Yesterday her pastor, an Episcopalian priest, came to their
      home with others from their church to pray and perform last rites. John also
      mentioned that recently, before the coma began, the hospice program had sent
      a chaplain who was a C.S. Lewis fan, so naturally, they had a good time
      talking together.

      "A friend of mine said today that Kathryn was the bravest person she ever
      knew, because of the way she kept writing and fighting to keep going, in
      spite of her huge physical challenges. I know many of us share this kind
      admiration for this gracious and courageous friend of ours.

      "John is glad that Kathryn is no longer suffering, but I'm sure that he would
      appreciate your prayers in the coming weeks.

      "I weep as I write to you, but I can see her running across the fields of
      Narnia with Aslan, and I know she will be well."

      C.S. Lewis wrote in admiration of her thesis on him, THE LION OF JUDAH IN
      NEVER-NEVER LAND (later published as a book)

      > "You are in the center of the target everywhere. For one thing, you know
      > my work better than anyone I've met; certainly better than I do myself. . .
      > But secondly, you (alone of all the critics I've met) realize the connection
      > or even the unity of all the books--scholarly, fantastic, theological--and
      > make me appear a single author, not a man who impersonates half a dozen authors
      > which is what I seem to most. This wins really very high marks indeed. If
      > you understand me so well you will understand other authors too." - 1957

      Mary S

    • Patrick H. Wynne
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 23, 2003
        Mary asked, regarding the sad news that Kathryn Lindskoog has passed
        away:

        > Kathryn was the author of several Lewis-related books, and a guest
        > at some early Mythopoeic Society conferences. Does anyone know
        > if she attended any others besides V in 1974 (scholar Guest of
        > Honor) and XIII in 1982 (special guest)?

        Kay was also at Mythcon XVII in Long Beach, CA in 1986. It was where
        I met her in person for the first time. Kay and her husband John
        spirited me away from the conference for a couple hours to treat me
        to a motor tour of the area. I'll never forget that ride -- sitting
        in the back of the Lindskoogs' car, my mouth hanging open in
        amazement as Kay, smiling over her shoulder from the front
        passenger seat, filled me in on her theories about Walter Hooper
        and the Lewis Estate. Two years later those theories formed the
        basis of her controversial book "The C.S. Lewis Hoax", which was
        the first book I ever illustrated.

        I'm still pretty stunned to learn of Kay's death. I owe her a greater
        debt than I can ever put into words -- she was an enthusiastic
        advocate for my aspirations as an artist, always proposing me
        to publishers as her first choice as an illustrator. But mostly
        when I think of Kay I think of her humor, her boundless generosity
        of spirit (especially towards those who were _least_ generous to her),
        her marvellously sharp and constantly curious mind, and her heroic
        refusal to let her multiple sclerosis stop her from producing volume
        after volume of her wonderful, clear, and witty writing.

        It was a privilege to have Kay as a friend; I'll miss her.

        -- Patrick H. Wynne