yup, *that* JW

  • Sharon L. Shannon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2000
      From: <mythsoc@onelist.com>
      To: <mythsoc@onelist.com>
      Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2000 4:31 AM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Digest Number 194

      > There are 2 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in today's digest:
      >
      > 1. The Once and Future...
      > From: "Sharon L. Shannon" <ionaskye@...>
      > 2. Re: The Once and Future...
      > From: Stolzi@...

      ___

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 12:17:03 -0800
      > From: "Sharon L. Shannon" <ionaskye@...>
      > Subject: The Once and Future...
      >
      > Emerging momentarily from lurkdom, I'm here to share this URL with all the
      > Arthur-loving gentlefolk present:
      >
      > http://www.discovery.com/news/briefs/brief4.html
      >
      > As we begin the last year of the 20th century, I wish you all peace,
      > contentment, and unlimited imagination.
      >
      > Sharon
      > The arts are the rain forests of society. They produce the oxygen of
      > freedom, and they are the early warning system when freedom is in danger.
      > ~John Wayne

      ___

      ___
      > Great URL, thanks!!

      I thought it was great too. So glad you enjoyed it.

      > > The arts are the rain forests of society. They produce the oxygen of
      > > freedom, and they are the early warning system when freedom is in
      danger.
      > > ~John Wayne
      >
      > John WAYNE? No kidding!
      >
      > Mary S

      I got this off an Arts site on the Web, and as far as I can determine the
      quote is accurate. Since I know John Wayne was much more than his onscreen
      persona, and an intelligent, articualte man, I have no reason to doubt its
      authenticity.

      Happy 2000 to all!

      Sharon
    • WendellWag@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2000
        ionaskye@... writes:

        > The arts are the rain forests of society. They produce the oxygen of
        > freedom, and they are the early warning system when freedom is in
        > danger.
        > John Wayne

        Further cementing my reputation as an obnoxious quibbler, I have to inform
        you that this quote apparently isn't from John Wayne. When I put it into a
        search engine, I got a site that contains this quote, but not as coming from
        John Wayne. It was credited to someone named June Wayne. Further research
        with a search engine showed that there's a moderately famous artist and arts
        activist named June Wayne. I suspect that she was the one who said this, but
        at some point someone misread the name and copied it into their web site as a
        quote from John Wayne.

        Just to get out all my obnoxious quibbles at once, when you quote a previous
        post in one of your own posts, make sure that you don't quote any more of the
        post than necessary. When you quote large amounts of irrelevant stuff, not
        only do you waste bandwidth, but you force us to flip back and forth through
        your post trying to figure out what you're replying to.