Something I don't get

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 21, 2003
      OK I just got another Noble Catalog. Being a packrat type, I can see the
      appeal of the jewelry and weapons, that whole marketing niche. But I still
      don't get the appeal of owning a copy of the One Ring. And there are more
      versions every catalog. It is a very pretty ring, sure, and when I was
      like 10 I wanted my own copy. But as an adult I am not so keen to bring
      something that's like the perfect symbol of power-corrupts into my stash of
      treasured belongings. There are certain kinds of magic, after all,
      including the subconscious or unconscious or whatever you would call it.

      In some other catalog, I saw what was supposedly elvish script for a love
      verse set to similar lines as the One Ring's inscription, "One love to"
      etc. No reason we can't have other pretty elvish-script things on the
      market. The trees and the stars, the Doors of Durin, all sorts of things.
      But why the One Ring? I have powerful powers of rationalization and
      denial, but even I can't weave something around that.

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • MGscifi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 21, 2003
        I agree one hundred percent, but the problem is the One Ring is what most
        fans associate with LOTR. They don't bother to think hard enough about the
        positive or negative impacts or connotations of that symbol besides "It's from LOTR
        and easily Recognizable". Remember, a person is intellegent. People are
        dumb. It's an unfortunate fact of life that gets worse the further from the
        die-hard fans you get.

        ~ Emily

      • aveeris523@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 21, 2003
          I agree! There are any number of quotations from LOTR that could be used, and
          enthusiastic scholars of elvish to help design the calligraphy-there would be
          a wider appeal as well.
          "I would not take this thing if it lay by the highway." Faramir
          Steve Gaddis

        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 22, 2003
            I agree! There are any number of quotations from LOTR that could be used,
            and
            enthusiastic scholars of elvish to help design the calligraphy-there would
            be
            a wider appeal as well.
            "I would not take this thing if it lay by the highway." Faramir >>

            OMG Now there's an idea! Can you imagine having a custom elvish script
            ring available? Would cost a fortune of course, but the dreaming and
            coveting would be extraordinary.

            Or more moderately priced, a selection of quotes like you said. What a
            great idea.

            Lizzie Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia