Re: [mythsoc] Oo, oo, wanta review!

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 17, 2003
      At 04:05 PM 10/17/2003 , Stolzi@... wrote:

      >> a new book, The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One book to
      >> Rule Them All, ed. Gregory Bassham and Eric Bronson, Chicago: Open Court,
      >> 2003.

      I've seen it. It did not seem to integrate its two subjects very well. It
      looked like a collection of halfway-decent college freshman papers, though
      the authors are mostly professors and should do better than that. I
      particularly noted the paper which - as I recall - completely messed up its
      attempt to summarize Tom Shippey's analysis of the nature of evil in the
      Ring. Shippey says - very clearly - that the Ring mediates two concepts of
      evil that are generally considered mutually exclusive. The paper here
      claims that Shippey plumped for only one, and the author of the paper then
      proceeds to argue in favor of the other as the sole explanation, thus
      making Shippey out to be an idiot.

      This book is one of a series of scholarly anthologies on pop culture and
      philosophy, of which I've seen the one on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," which
      was almost as anemic. I haven't seen the one on "The Matrix," but it might
      be interesting to read what they can make out of that, as the sequel to
      that film by all reports lacks the original's philosophical depth,
      suggesting that the depth was solely in the subject matter (long ago fully
      explored by the likes of Philip K. Dick) and not at all in the minds of the
      screenwriters.

      David Bratman
    • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 18, 2003
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 18, 2003
          In a message dated 10/18/2003 5:16:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          darancgrissom@... writes:

          > Just so everyones is clear the other books in this series include "The
          > Matrix and Philosophy: Welcome to the Real World," "The Simpsons and
          > Philosophy: The D'oh of Homer," and coming soon, "The Sopranos and
          > Philosophy."

          In the series so far (quoting from the Open Court catalog I got recently):

          _Seinfeld and Philosophy: A Book about Everything and Nothing_
          _The Simpsons and Philosophy: The D'oh of Homer_
          _The Matrix and Philosophy: Welcome to the Desert of the Real_
          _Buffy the Vampire Player and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnyvale_
          _The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All_

          Coming soon:

          _Baseball and Philosphy_

          And in preparation:

          _The Sopranos and Philosophy_
          _Woody Allen and Philosophy_
          _Harry Potter and Philosophy_

          Presumably the books not out yet will also be given cute subtitles.

        • Kevin Bowring
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 18, 2003
            Lovely, more books to add to the list of those I will never have time to read.

            Kevin

            WendellWag@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 10/18/2003 5:16:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > darancgrissom@... writes:
            >
            > > Just so everyones is clear the other books in this series include "The
            > > Matrix and Philosophy: Welcome to the Real World," "The Simpsons and
            > > Philosophy: The D'oh of Homer," and coming soon, "The Sopranos and
            > > Philosophy."
            >
            > In the series so far (quoting from the Open Court catalog I got recently):
            >
            > _Seinfeld and Philosophy: A Book about Everything and Nothing_
            > _The Simpsons and Philosophy: The D'oh of Homer_
            > _The Matrix and Philosophy: Welcome to the Desert of the Real_
            > _Buffy the Vampire Player and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnyvale_
            > _The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All_
            >
            > Coming soon:
            >
            > _Baseball and Philosphy_
            >
            > And in preparation:
            >
            > _The Sopranos and Philosophy_
            > _Woody Allen and Philosophy_
            > _Harry Potter and Philosophy_
            >
            > Presumably the books not out yet will also be given cute subtitles.
            >
            > Wendell Wagner

          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 18, 2003
              From: <darancgrissom@...>

              > Just so everyones is clear the other books in this series include "The
              > Matrix and Philosophy: Welcome to the Real World," "The Simpsons and
              > Philosophy: The D'oh of Homer," and coming soon, "The Sopranos and
              > Philosophy." I have read both the Simpsons and Matrix editions and found
              > them so devoid of any spark of original insight into their subjects that I
              > didn't even bother picking the Lord of the Rings one off the shelf when I
              > saw it at Barnes and Nobles. It is pop culture philosophy, which I'm not
              > putting down mind you, it's something of a specialty of mine, but these
              > books are bad pop culture philosophy.

              On the other hand, the book on Buffy the Vampire Slayer was the best of the
              books of essay collections about Buffy that I've seen. (I've read 3 or 4 of
              them.)

              Most likely there's not that much continuation of writers from one book in
              the series to the next so the series as a whole would be uneven. I
              recommend the Bratman method: stand in the bookstore and read big chunks of
              the book if you're not sure if you want to buy it or not. (And Barnes &
              Nobles makes it so easy with their comfy chairs!)

              Berni
            • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 19, 2003
                > Just so everyones is clear the other books in this series include "The
                > Matrix and Philosophy: Welcome to the Real World," "The Simpsons and
                > Philosophy: The D'oh of Homer," and coming soon, "The Sopranos and
                > Philosophy." I have read both the Simpsons and Matrix editions and
                found
                > them so devoid of any spark of original insight into their subjects that
                > didn't even bother picking the Lord of the Rings one off the shelf when
                > saw it at Barnes and Nobles. It is pop culture philosophy, which I'm
                not
                > putting down mind you, it's something of a specialty of mine, but these
                > books are bad pop culture philosophy.

                On the other hand, the book on Buffy the Vampire Slayer was the best of
                the
                books of essay collections about Buffy that I've seen. (I've read 3 or 4
                of
                them.)

                Most likely there's not that much continuation of writers from one book in
                the series to the next so the series as a whole would be uneven. I
                recommend the Bratman method: stand in the bookstore and read big chunks
                of
                the book if you're not sure if you want to buy it or not. (And Barnes &
                Nobles makes it so easy with their comfy chairs!)

                Berni

                [darancgrissom@...]
                I have not seen the Buffy one, and I would like to read it, though I have
                reservation after the Matrix and Simpsons books. Analysis of Buffy the
                Vampire Slayer would benefit from a book like this. It would have nice to
                know about it when I wrote an end of semester paper on the show and its
                impact on the self image of pre-teen girls. However, when dealing with a
                subject like Lord of the Rings, where there is a great volume of critical
                work on the subject seems like just cashinfg in on a craze. Though that is
                sort of the point of the series.
                P.S. the chairs in my Barnes & Nobles badly need a dry-cleaning. Yuck.

              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 19, 2003
                  Berni wrote:

                  > recommend the Bratman method: stand in the bookstore and read big chunks
                  > of
                  > the book if you're not sure if you want to buy it or not. (And Barnes &
                  > Nobles makes it so easy with their comfy chairs!)

                  I am a very fast reader and always have ethical problems with this. Does one
                  salve one's conscience sufficiently by making sure to purchase =something=
                  every few months or so?

                  What think ye all?

                  Diamond Proudbrook

                • juliet@firinn.org
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 19, 2003
                    On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 03:44:08PM -0400, Stolzi@... wrote:
                    > Berni wrote:

                    > > recommend the Bratman method: stand in the bookstore and read big chunks
                    > > of
                    > > the book if you're not sure if you want to buy it or not. (And Barnes &
                    > > Nobles makes it so easy with their comfy chairs!)
                    > >

                    > I am a very fast reader and always have ethical problems with this. Does one
                    > salve one's conscience sufficiently by making sure to purchase =something=
                    > every few months or so?
                    >
                    > What think ye all?

                    You can always consider whether you'd be able to get the book from a library
                    or borrow it from a friend. If I knew I could probably read the same book
                    at a library, I'd have no problem reading it in the store instead.

                    Julie
                  • Jack
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 19, 2003
                      >I am a very fast reader and always have ethical problems with this. Does one
                      >salve one's conscience sufficiently by making sure to purchase =something=
                      >every few months or so?

                      Np problem at all. I buy 'nough books that I have no problem at all about
                      reading a big chunk (usually fifty or
                      so pages) before deciding if I'm going to buy a book.

                    • Jay Hershberger
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 19, 2003
                        Berni wrote:

                        > recommend the Bratman method: stand in the bookstore and read big
                        chunks
                        > of
                        > the book if you're not sure if you want to buy it or not. (And Barnes &
                        > Nobles makes it so easy with their comfy chairs!)
                        >

                        >I am a very fast reader and always have ethical problems with this. Does
                        one
                        >salve one's conscience sufficiently by making sure to purchase =something=
                        >every few months or so?

                        >What think ye all?

                        >Diamond Proudbrook

                        JH: Our local Barnes and Noble encourages reading in the store. They think
                        it promotes reading in general, which in the end is good for their business.

                        Jay Hershberger
                      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 20, 2003
                          JH: Our local Barnes and Noble encourages reading in the store. They think
                          it promotes reading in general, which in the end is good for their
                          business. >>

                          Yes exactly. Isn't there a Tom Lehrer song, The Old Dope Peddler that
                          includes the lyrics, "He gives the kids free samples because he knows full
                          well that today's young innocent faces will be tomorrow's clientele."

                          We might skim and put some of them back, but the longer we remain in the
                          store, the more things will go home with us in the end.

                          Often I have a list of books I am looking for, and maybe half I will end up
                          not buying once I've seen them, but others I will buy. Can't do that as
                          easily online. Can do it some now, but it's still not the same.

                          Lizzie Triano
                          lizziewriter@...
                          amor vincit omnia
                        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 20, 2003
                            I figure reading's part of the purchase / no sale decision making process,
                            even if it's a good chunk. I can usually tell if I want a book fairly
                            fast, and if I do (and it's expensive) I put it down *really fast* (fearing
                            I may plunk down the $30.) Then I truck over to the library. Sometimes I
                            eventually buy the library books I read, but I think I buy enough from my
                            favorite JoBeth bookstore that I can comfortably read a good chunk.
                            However, I don't usually read for extended periods. I'm too busy browsing
                            and finding new titles to add to the list! ---djb

                            http://mail2web.com/ .