Re: RE: [mythsoc] Re: Pullman and beyond

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2003
      OK,

      So I have another question, not really unrelated.

      Let's say that one wanted to read a successful take on the
      materialistic-morality POV. Not that there is nothing out there at all,
      but perhaps there is no personal God, or no Personal Savior, or no life
      after death. So you can have synchronicity or karma or whatever you call
      it, but on the whole what good you do here is what good there is, and it
      has its many ripples regardless. Same for evil. Perhaps this is a New Age
      Pagan attitude, I don't know. But in any event, does anyone have any
      recommendations?

      I finally finished Judith Tarr's _White Mare's Daughter_ and wasn't as
      impressed with it as with some of her other works. I think she put a lot
      of study into it, but I found some of the premises hard to believe. I
      guess in general I can't believe in a whole peaceful Goddess-worshiping
      tame-men type of thing. (If there would be such a thing, I think Sheri S.
      Tepper describes it more closely in _The Gate to Women's Country_.) Some
      people can't believe in dinosaurs, though. I have started on Shippey's
      _Road to Middle Earth_. What it must have been like to live when philology
      was an active science. Imagine pop philology books at Barnes and Noble!
      Cool.

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia