Re: what do dragons speak...

  • Paul F. Labaki
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2000
      Thanks for the encouragement, Jane.

      I guess I can cope with an increased dose of madness in my life. I'm
      curious about your equating work with drudgery. I don't see them as
      synonymous. When I said that I resolve to work at my writing this year, I
      mean that I will engage in the experience more often, even with a schedule,
      and be disciplined in not allowing fatigue or distractions to divert me. I
      want to engage in some exercises not of my own devising in addition to
      trying things my own way. I know that approaching my own ideas from angles
      that I've not thought of myself can expose them in ways I've not explored.
      I think it is integral to the creative process for the maker to be open and
      to avoid being trapped by his own regimine or process. It is dangerous or
      damaging to the creative process for the maker to get too comfortable.

      Also, let's face it; writing is hard work requiring exhaustive labor like
      many other enjoyable recreations, skiing, gardening, etc. I have to fight a
      strong tendancy toward laziness. After all, isn't reading so much less
      labor, and a valid, even, for a writer, a necessary diversion?

      Paul Labaki

    • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2000
        In a message dated 01/01/2000 11:02:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        sheik@... writes:

        << Would you give some examples of nasty stuff that wins awards? >>
        nope, can't do. Not the big awards, they get good stuff. I am thinking,
        smaller "artsy" awards that go to things most of us have trouble reading.
        Things which wouldn't survive a grammar analysis. Such as my sentences.
        LOL. I think my mind is doing the ossifying thing, as I am getting more
        opinionated than I ever used to be. (Memory was never good, so being unable
        to remember things I didn't like in the first place is no surprise.)

        Lizzie