Shopping!

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2003
      I don't want to pre-empt Ellie's annual Gifts column in MYTHPRINT, but
      thought I would make these notes from mail order catalogs arriving at my house
      today:

      Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE TV show, previously available in the US as a novel,
      is now out on US DVD, approx 3 hours of showtime, $39.95 from both Acorn and
      Britannia.

      I also liked for children the CD set and book of "The Greek Myths" by the
      d'Aulaires, available from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, either separately or
      book and CDs together.

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Jack
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2003
        >Neil Gaiman's NEVERWHERE TV show, previously available in the US as a novel,
        >is now out on US DVD, approx 3 hours of showtime, $39.95 from both Acorn and
        >Britannia.

        Got it out for review right now. The copy I've seen suggests that a remake
        by the Hensons would indeed be in order!

      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 10, 2003
          That would be nice. Neil Gaiman is currently making a film with Henson
          Pictures called Mirror Mask that looks quite interest. Neil, Lisa
          Henson, and Dave McKean (director/art person) were talking it up at
          ComicCon. The Making of and some computer stuff that Dave brought on his
          laptop were quite impressive. Yes, a laptop hooked into the projectors
          was showing some of the Special Effects completed final scenes. It's not
          the same old Big Hollywood thing anymore.

          Basically the Principal Photography was a Lot of bluescreen with some
          real world. Dave is creating the rest of it on computer, because of the
          fantasy world elements. Because of the new techniques, the parts he
          showed, although they obviously could not really exist, did not look
          like faked computer sets either.

          It is obvious they could use the same technique for Neverwhere.

          And Lisa did seem very impressed with Dave's sensibility and Neil's
          creativity in creating Mirror Mask on a budget that everyone thought was
          impossibly low.

          I do remember seeing Neverwhere on TV (I believe it was our local PBS
          station), I actually liked it. Though I could see where more money and
          more modern methods could only improve the production, if they decided
          to tackle that project again.

          Neil is such an interesting writer in that he isn't just a words on
          paper, but wants visuals or set something up to be better is read
          aloud... Even though his use of words is actually more than enough.
          Definitely an out of the box/book type of writer.

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa

        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 13, 2003
            Send these to Ellie, and maybe she'll put them in her column. (Perhaps she
            knows about these already---but maybe not). ---djb

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 13, 2003
              Neil seems like an Endless himself---endlessly creative that is. I just
              saw a new Sandman graphic novel with seven stories about each one of the
              Endless, called *Endless Nights.* I've read two of the stories (Dream's
              and Desire's--brr!---Desire's story was the best of the lot, so far), but I
              don't have the book---yet. Friend of mine showed it to me, and of course,
              I must have it---eventually. But I've looked at three separate bookstores,
              and have not seen it. If all else fails, it'll be Amazon.com for me!
              Thought some of you Sandman fans would like to know that the next one's
              out. ---djb

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 13, 2003
                >Neil seems like an Endless himself---endlessly creative that is. I just
                >saw a new Sandman graphic novel with seven stories about each one of the
                >Endless, called *Endless Nights.* I've read two of the stories (Dream's
                >and Desire's--brr!---Desire's story was the best of the lot, so far), but I
                >don't have the book---yet. Friend of mine showed it to me, and of course,
                >I must have it---eventually. But I've looked at three separate bookstores,
                >and have not seen it. If all else fails, it'll be Amazon.com for me!
                >Thought some of you Sandman fans would like to know that the next one's
                >out. ---djb

                Borders has it, but her local comics shop will be carrying it too. I found
                some tales very good, some so-so,
                but that's true of most anthologies for me.

                Green Man did a review of it:

                greenmanreview.com/book/book_gaiman_endlessnights.html