New Year's first read

  • Julia Pálffy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2000
      Happy New Year, everybody!

      When I was a teenager, I used to enjoy reading science-fiction and fantasies
      about the future. Some of the things I read were set at a date which still
      belonged to the future for the author when he wrote, but to the present or
      to the recent past for me as I read them. It was funny to compare what they
      imagined with what I actually saw in reality.

      With the coming of the new millenium I have been thinking about these things
      again, and today I reread - as my first reading this year - a short piece by
      Hans Christian Andersen called The Millenium (to be found in The Penguin
      Complete Fairy Tales and Stories of Hans Andersen, Nr. 66.).

      Has anyone else had thoughts about this kind of fantasy?
      Has anyone else read Andersen's sketch? What do you think of it?
      I'm curious to know what you think about "the future in myth" or "the myths
      we invent in the future".

      Best wishes,

      Julia Palffy
      Zug, Switzerland