Re: [mythsoc] Re: Pullman

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 42 , Oct 8, 2003
      From: <Stolzi@...>

      > alexeik@... writes:
      >
      > > the cruelty of Lord Asriel (Lyra's father, and the story's
      > > Stan-figure).

      ^^^^ I really like this typo, a story having a "Stan-figure."

      > Not only that, Alexei - wasn't Lyra, in one of the earlier volumes,
      described
      > as a prophesied, pivotal figure, one as important in the human future as
      Eve
      > had been in its past? Yet the one or two exploits that she is finally
      given,
      > don't seem to fill the bill.

      Yes. This is what bothered me the most. There is all this build up in the
      first book about how important Lyra was. Remember how she picked out the
      correct broom of the Finnish witches'?

      Anyone who's thinking of reading the books, I recommend you read book 1 only
      and stop reading where Lyra rejoins her father. Close the book, say to
      yourself, "And they all lived happily ever after," and you'll be a lot
      happier than if you go on.

      Berni
    • Larry Swain
      Message 42 of 42 , Dec 16, 2007

        > Yes, particularly sex - after all, that's the only point when God
        > saw that it was "very good" - after woman was created to be a
        > suitable partner for man. {grin}

        A minor correction here: there are 2 points when God says "very good" in Genesis 1, after the third day and after the sixth. In Genesis 2 when we speak of the specific creation of woman as a partner suitable for the man, there is no such declaration.

        That doesn't affect your point, just a "point of information".

        Larry Swain