Re: [mythsoc] Re: Pullman

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 42 , Oct 8, 2003
      From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

      > As I go along, reading and talking to people who either liked or didn't
      > like Pullman, I wonder if it comes down to a very subjective call. Those
      > who want to see God and Good and all that Lawful Background First Cause
      > stuff will find him disturbing, and those who don't, will find him more
      > independent? I haven't read him yet, and this is just a guess, but I have
      > actually spoken to people in bookstores who seemed otherwise well read and
      > stuff, one was a librarian in fact, who enjoyed Pullman because he gave
      his
      > characters more of a semblance of independence. Something like that. I
      > haven't had my tea yet today, but I meant to get this hypothesis out
      > yesterday and forgot. What do we think?

      We think they suck. At least I do.

      Whether you agree or disagree with Pullman's view of God, anyone who's read
      the books must agree that Pullman gets so carried away with making his
      statement that he forgot a number of plot threads.

      I found he gave his characters more a semblance of cardboard, myself. I
      finally just gave in and pictured Disney's Cruella de Ville every time
      Lyra's mother re-entered the stories. And the former nun is totally
      unbelievable. I know way too many ex-nuns and everyone of them has left the
      religious life but remained a devout Catholic. You'd never make it into the
      convent in the first place without strong faith in God. And if your faith
      wasn't strong enough or if community living wasn't right for you, you would
      not be allowed to continue. Even in these days of scarse vocations,
      religious orders are very careful who they allow in.

      Berni
    • Larry Swain
      Message 42 of 42 , Dec 16, 2007

        > Yes, particularly sex - after all, that's the only point when God
        > saw that it was "very good" - after woman was created to be a
        > suitable partner for man. {grin}

        A minor correction here: there are 2 points when God says "very good" in Genesis 1, after the third day and after the sixth. In Genesis 2 when we speak of the specific creation of woman as a partner suitable for the man, there is no such declaration.

        That doesn't affect your point, just a "point of information".

        Larry Swain