Re: Authors...

  • Diane Baker
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 1980
      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > From: Stolzi@...
      >
      > ...of interest to Mythies
      >
      > CONFESSIONS OF AN UGLY STEPSISTER. Gregory Maguire, of WICKED, again takes
      > the viewpoint of the ones usually thought of as the villains. Here, it
      > appears he has set "Cinderella" in 17th Century Holland. This one might be
      > interesting. HarperCollins, $24.
      >
      > KING OF SHADOWS, by Susan Cooper. Here the fantasy element is apparently
      > employed only to draw a modern boy actor back to 1599 and Shakespeare's time
      > and place. Still, could be worthwhile. Simon and Schuster, $18.

      A friend just sent me Judith Tarr and Harry Turtledove's *Household
      Gods.* It looks really fun. Modern female lawyer wakes up as a
      taver-keeper's widow in 170 A. D. I have a friend who thinks Turtledove
      doesn't handle female characters well, so maybe Tarr will help his
      perspective. Looks intriguing. ---djb.
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2000
        Diane, the Narnia poem is mine. Kay Lindskoog published it in a "Narnia
        workshop" kit she did for ... oh, some publisher or other ... David Cook, I
        think... years ago. I demanded payment and they actually sent me a check for
        $5. :)

        On book notes, I am just finishing Peter Beagle's 1999 novel TAMSIN. This is
        excellent! It's really a YA but not labeled as such - but a dense, textured,
        extremely well-written YA, just a bit of a slow starter... here I agree with
        the reviews on amazon.com.

        Next I go back to Helprin's WINTER'S TALE and try to finish - I am sort of
        bogged down in the middle.

        Good to have you back on line, DJB.

        Mary S
      • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2000
          In a message dated 01/01/2000 9:37:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          dianejoy@... writes:

          << A friend just sent me Judith Tarr and Harry Turtledove's *Household
          Gods.* It looks really fun. >>
          Did you read this yet and if so what did you think?

          lizzie