Re: [mythsoc] Re: Pullman

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 42 , Oct 8, 2003
      On Oct 8, 2003, at 7:31 AM, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

      > As I go along, reading and talking to people who either liked or
      > didn't like Pullman, I wonder if it comes down to a very subjective
      > call.

      I think all such judgments as "like" or "dislike" are ultimately
      subjective, because the decisions as to which objective criteria to
      select and as to their importance to the overall valuation are
      subjective.

      That being said, there do appear to be firm objective criteria by which
      Pullman is held to have failed, among those I've talked to. (I have not
      read the books myself, so I can only report -- no doubt others on this
      list can fill in some details.) The one I've heard most is sloppy
      writing: plot threads left dangling, character details established in
      one book later forgotten or contradicted, etc. (Just the sorts of thing
      that can easily happen when characters and story are placed at the
      service of a polemic....)
    • Larry Swain
      Message 42 of 42 , Dec 16, 2007

        > Yes, particularly sex - after all, that's the only point when God
        > saw that it was "very good" - after woman was created to be a
        > suitable partner for man. {grin}

        A minor correction here: there are 2 points when God says "very good" in Genesis 1, after the third day and after the sixth. In Genesis 2 when we speak of the specific creation of woman as a partner suitable for the man, there is no such declaration.

        That doesn't affect your point, just a "point of information".

        Larry Swain