Re: [mythsoc] Eos, Phosphorus,Vesper,Venus, Lucifer, Ceyx - Oh my!

  • Benjamin K. Badgley
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > Try this page
      >
      > http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

      Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
      information though is of no less value, combined the
      two may present an objective view.

      Benjamin Badgley
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
        On Oct 2, 2003, at 11:24 PM, Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

        > I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in our local
        > library. Wasn't aware the three names you present above.

        In that case, I particularly recommend that you seek out a copy of
        Robert Graves's _The Greek Myths_ (readily available in inexpensive
        editions as well). This is Greek mythology presented in detail, and in
        a much less homogenized form than Bullfinch or Hamilton.
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
          At 08:28 PM 10/2/2003 , Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

          >Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
          >information though is of no less value, combined the
          >two may present an objective view.

          Some web information is indeed excellent. But the chances of finding
          something worse than useless and not being able to realize how bad it is,
          or of not finding what you need at all, are much higher than with library
          books, though certainly they've been known to have their flaws too. The
          two are not at all equal. In some fields the web is even better. In
          something like Greek mythology, you're liable to find some good basic
          encyclopedia stuff on the web, though the best is probably in encyclopedia
          sites not easily found by Googling. But the rich detail you need to
          understand the myths is probably in large part not online, and that which
          is online would be too long to read comfortably that way.

          - David Bratman
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
            Hullo Benjamin

            Another thing you might like to try is to hit a big old used book store, if
            there is such in your stomping grounds. Their mythology section could
            well be more fascinating than the library's (depending on your library of
            course).

            Lizzie Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia