Re: [mythsoc] Eos, Phosphorus,Vesper,Venus, Lucifer, Ceyx - Oh my!

  • Benjamin K. Badgley
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
      Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
      > Um... have you considered consulting actual books, maybe from a
      > library? With the possible exception of Bullfinch, all that you cite
      > are web references -- and I note that the text of Bullfinch is readily
      > available online, and suspect that that is what you consulted.
      >
      > Robert Graves? Larousse? Edith Hamilton? Any of a host of more detailed
      > books and journal articles on Greek mythology? The former of these are
      > readily found in any decent library, and the latter in most university
      > libraries, together with the MLA index....

      I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in
      our local library. Wasn't aware the three names you present
      above. Our local library may well have them, my apologies
      for ignorance. Still to learn we ask. Thank you.

      Benjamin Badgley
    • Benjamin K. Badgley
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > Try this page
        >
        > http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

        Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
        information though is of no less value, combined the
        two may present an objective view.

        Benjamin Badgley
      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
          On Oct 2, 2003, at 11:24 PM, Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

          > I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in our local
          > library. Wasn't aware the three names you present above.

          In that case, I particularly recommend that you seek out a copy of
          Robert Graves's _The Greek Myths_ (readily available in inexpensive
          editions as well). This is Greek mythology presented in detail, and in
          a much less homogenized form than Bullfinch or Hamilton.
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
            At 08:28 PM 10/2/2003 , Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

            >Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
            >information though is of no less value, combined the
            >two may present an objective view.

            Some web information is indeed excellent. But the chances of finding
            something worse than useless and not being able to realize how bad it is,
            or of not finding what you need at all, are much higher than with library
            books, though certainly they've been known to have their flaws too. The
            two are not at all equal. In some fields the web is even better. In
            something like Greek mythology, you're liable to find some good basic
            encyclopedia stuff on the web, though the best is probably in encyclopedia
            sites not easily found by Googling. But the rich detail you need to
            understand the myths is probably in large part not online, and that which
            is online would be too long to read comfortably that way.

            - David Bratman
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
              Hullo Benjamin

              Another thing you might like to try is to hit a big old used book store, if
              there is such in your stomping grounds. Their mythology section could
              well be more fascinating than the library's (depending on your library of
              course).

              Lizzie Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia