NY Observer: Super-Inklings on the way

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2003
      In a message dated 10/1/2003 12:23:50 AM Central Daylight Time,
      MnnyMoNHak@... writes:

      > The League of Extraordinary Nerds
      >
      > It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s … a group of crime-fighting Oxford dons!
      > November will see the debut of a new comic book from G.I. Joe publishers
      > Image Comics. Heaven’s War focuses on the Inklings, the scholarly cabal that was
      > centered around Chronicles of Narnia author C.S. Lewis, Lord of the Rings
      > scribe J.R.R. Tolkien and poet and War in Heaven novelist Charles Williams. The
      > group, which used to meet at the Oxford pub Eagle and Child, shared an
      > interest in theology, philosophy and fantasy.
      > Heaven’s War imagines that the writers were up to something much more than
      > Guinness-fueled navel-gazing. According to an advertisement in the Previews
      > catalog published by Diamond Comic Distributors Inc., the book will be set in
      > 1938, with the world hovering on the brink of World War II when "a secret
      > angelic battle is waged in the heavenly realms to determine mankind’s fate." The
      > Inklings are pitted against the infamous occultist author Aleister Crowley,
      > who "plans to manipulate those angelic struggles and thus shape the world
      > according to his will."
      > In order to stop him, the Inklings "must decipher a landscape of sacred
      > geometry to intercept Crowley at the threshold of heaven."
      > We’re not making this up.
      > What prompted the desire to turn a group of dead fountain-pen-wielding
      > scholars into superheros? It could well be Image Comics’ attempt to cash in on the
      > success of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Alan Moore’s D.C./A.B.C.
      > comic about Allan Quatermain, Captain Nemo, Dr. Jekyll, the Invisible Man and
      > Mina Murray (née Harker) from Bram Stoker’s Dracula, who band together in
      > 1898 to save the British Empire from evil. Extremely successful as a comic,
      > League was adapted into an eponymous movie starring Sean Connery that was
      > released this summer to mostly negative reviews and bad box office.
      > Eric, a marketing manager at Image Comics whose voice-mail messages promised
      > to return calls "as soon as superhumanly possible," did not, in fact, return
      > calls.
      >

      > —Rebecca Traister

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2003
        I had trouble reading this post, there were a lot of wierd typographical
        characters in it. But it seems to be about a comic book series that will
        be sort of kind of based on the Inklings, as if the Inklings themselves
        were characters in a CW novel, so to speak? And then something about a
        movie?

        I am not a big web surfer so hold your fire about that. But here in this
        discussion group maybe someone has a comment, someone that was better able
        to read the post, or has heard something else on the matter?

        I am happy.... finally found my copy of the Silmarillion. I'll reread it
        soon... it cut ahead of a bunch of other stuff on the pile. :-)

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia