Re: [mythsoc] Eos, Phosphorus,Vesper,Venus, Lucifer, Ceyx - Oh my!

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
      Try this page

      http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
        Um... have you considered consulting actual books, maybe from a
        library? With the possible exception of Bullfinch, all that you cite
        are web references -- and I note that the text of Bullfinch is readily
        available online, and suspect that that is what you consulted.

        Robert Graves? Larousse? Edith Hamilton? Any of a host of more detailed
        books and journal articles on Greek mythology? The former of these are
        readily found in any decent library, and the latter in most university
        libraries, together with the MLA index....
      • Benjamin K. Badgley
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
          Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
          > Um... have you considered consulting actual books, maybe from a
          > library? With the possible exception of Bullfinch, all that you cite
          > are web references -- and I note that the text of Bullfinch is readily
          > available online, and suspect that that is what you consulted.
          >
          > Robert Graves? Larousse? Edith Hamilton? Any of a host of more detailed
          > books and journal articles on Greek mythology? The former of these are
          > readily found in any decent library, and the latter in most university
          > libraries, together with the MLA index....

          I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in
          our local library. Wasn't aware the three names you present
          above. Our local library may well have them, my apologies
          for ignorance. Still to learn we ask. Thank you.

          Benjamin Badgley
        • Benjamin K. Badgley
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
            Stolzi@... wrote:

            > Try this page
            >
            > http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

            Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
            information though is of no less value, combined the
            two may present an objective view.

            Benjamin Badgley
          • Carl F. Hostetter
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
              On Oct 2, 2003, at 11:24 PM, Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

              > I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in our local
              > library. Wasn't aware the three names you present above.

              In that case, I particularly recommend that you seek out a copy of
              Robert Graves's _The Greek Myths_ (readily available in inexpensive
              editions as well). This is Greek mythology presented in detail, and in
              a much less homogenized form than Bullfinch or Hamilton.
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                At 08:28 PM 10/2/2003 , Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

                >Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
                >information though is of no less value, combined the
                >two may present an objective view.

                Some web information is indeed excellent. But the chances of finding
                something worse than useless and not being able to realize how bad it is,
                or of not finding what you need at all, are much higher than with library
                books, though certainly they've been known to have their flaws too. The
                two are not at all equal. In some fields the web is even better. In
                something like Greek mythology, you're liable to find some good basic
                encyclopedia stuff on the web, though the best is probably in encyclopedia
                sites not easily found by Googling. But the rich detail you need to
                understand the myths is probably in large part not online, and that which
                is online would be too long to read comfortably that way.

                - David Bratman
              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                  Hullo Benjamin

                  Another thing you might like to try is to hit a big old used book store, if
                  there is such in your stomping grounds. Their mythology section could
                  well be more fascinating than the library's (depending on your library of
                  course).

                  Lizzie Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia