Eos, Phosphorus,Vesper,Venus, Lucifer, Ceyx - Oh my!

  • Benjamin K. Badgley
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
      I'm looking for more information on the Greek God known
      as Phosphorus.
      <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosporus> He is son of
      Eos <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eos>. Phosphorus is
      also called Hesperos.
      <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesperos> The Romans
      altered his name to Vesper, Venus, Lucifer.
      <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer> So far I know
      he may have been king of Thessaly
      <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thessaly> and also
      called Ceyx <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceyx>. I'll
      continue searching any aid is appreciated. I'm looking
      for more information upon him aside from Christian
      demon. Bullfinch's has nothing really and other sources
      have failed to lend any light to this research.

      Benjamin Badgley
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
        Try this page

        http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
          Um... have you considered consulting actual books, maybe from a
          library? With the possible exception of Bullfinch, all that you cite
          are web references -- and I note that the text of Bullfinch is readily
          available online, and suspect that that is what you consulted.

          Robert Graves? Larousse? Edith Hamilton? Any of a host of more detailed
          books and journal articles on Greek mythology? The former of these are
          readily found in any decent library, and the latter in most university
          libraries, together with the MLA index....
        • Benjamin K. Badgley
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
            Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
            > Um... have you considered consulting actual books, maybe from a
            > library? With the possible exception of Bullfinch, all that you cite
            > are web references -- and I note that the text of Bullfinch is readily
            > available online, and suspect that that is what you consulted.
            >
            > Robert Graves? Larousse? Edith Hamilton? Any of a host of more detailed
            > books and journal articles on Greek mythology? The former of these are
            > readily found in any decent library, and the latter in most university
            > libraries, together with the MLA index....

            I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in
            our local library. Wasn't aware the three names you present
            above. Our local library may well have them, my apologies
            for ignorance. Still to learn we ask. Thank you.

            Benjamin Badgley
          • Benjamin K. Badgley
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
              Stolzi@... wrote:

              > Try this page
              >
              > http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

              Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
              information though is of no less value, combined the
              two may present an objective view.

              Benjamin Badgley
            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                On Oct 2, 2003, at 11:24 PM, Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

                > I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in our local
                > library. Wasn't aware the three names you present above.

                In that case, I particularly recommend that you seek out a copy of
                Robert Graves's _The Greek Myths_ (readily available in inexpensive
                editions as well). This is Greek mythology presented in detail, and in
                a much less homogenized form than Bullfinch or Hamilton.
              • David S. Bratman
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                  At 08:28 PM 10/2/2003 , Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

                  >Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
                  >information though is of no less value, combined the
                  >two may present an objective view.

                  Some web information is indeed excellent. But the chances of finding
                  something worse than useless and not being able to realize how bad it is,
                  or of not finding what you need at all, are much higher than with library
                  books, though certainly they've been known to have their flaws too. The
                  two are not at all equal. In some fields the web is even better. In
                  something like Greek mythology, you're liable to find some good basic
                  encyclopedia stuff on the web, though the best is probably in encyclopedia
                  sites not easily found by Googling. But the rich detail you need to
                  understand the myths is probably in large part not online, and that which
                  is online would be too long to read comfortably that way.

                  - David Bratman
                • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                    Hullo Benjamin

                    Another thing you might like to try is to hit a big old used book store, if
                    there is such in your stomping grounds. Their mythology section could
                    well be more fascinating than the library's (depending on your library of
                    course).

                    Lizzie Triano
                    lizziewriter@...
                    amor vincit omnia