Re: Thomas Burnett Swann

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
      I read several of Swann's novels way back when--_Wolfwinter_, for
      example--and found them enjoyable (not great). I don't know what I'd think
      today. Several of them involved a Goddess, perhaps influenced by Graves'
      White Goddess. I also read (and probably reviewed) one of Swann's
      non-fiction books, _A. A. Milne_.

      --Joe
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
        Most of the books my library has by TBS are non-fiction. Out of four books in the collection, three were non-fiction. The fourth title might have been *Wolfwinter.* I'm not sure right now. In any case, they didn't have *Forest of Forever.* Now that people have mentioned the sexual matters, I think I can wait. ---djb

        I read several of Swann's novels way back when--_Wolfwinter_, for
        example--and found them enjoyable (not great). I don't know what I'd think
        today. Several of them involved a Goddess, perhaps influenced by Graves'
        White Goddess. I also read (and probably reviewed) one of Swann's
        non-fiction books, _A. A. Milne_.

        --Joe

        mail2web.com™ - Check your email from the web at http://mail2web.com
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
          I did not find TBS's books to be offensive as far as sexual
          content and found them
          good reads, especially since they are based in the Greek and
          Roman myths, and
          in a few cases, other mythologies. I still have most of the
          books here someplace
          in what my friends now call "Bill's bookstacks".
          Dang, I think I might try to find a copy now to read since
          its my day off.

          dianejoy@... wrote:

          > Most of the books my library has by TBS are non-fiction. Out of four
          > books in the collection, three were non-fiction. The fourth title
          > might have been *Wolfwinter.* I'm not sure right now. In any case,
          > they didn't have *Forest of Forever.* Now that people have mentioned
          > the sexual matters, I think I can wait. ---djb

          [Image]

        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
            In a message dated 10/2/3 4:09:06 PM, Diane Joy wrote:

            <<Out of four

            > books in the collection, three were non-fiction. The fourth title

            > might have been *Wolfwinter.* I'm not sure right now. In any case,

            > they didn't have *Forest of Forever.* Now that people have mentioned

            > the sexual matters, I think I can wait. ---djb>>

            Not all of TBS's novels are about sex, although it was certainly a favourite
            topic of his. _Wolfwinter_ is actually about death, and as such winds up
            having a bit more depth than many of his other books.
            Alexei