RE: [mythsoc] RotK Trailer

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1 8:50 PM
      At 07:32 AM 10/1/2003 , Janet wrote:

      >One older article I ran across in my research speculated that Sauron
      >wouldn't have been that good at chess. He didn't seem to understand feints
      >and sacrifices, and clearly couldn't see ahead to Gandalf's next moves.
      >Then there's the gaming metaphor that was used in the original Star Trek
      >somewhere -- Spock plays chess and Kirk plays poker. Spock's moves and
      >forces are all out in the open; he has no secrets from his opponent except
      >what's in his head. Kirk's hand is hidden -- you can't know for sure what
      >resources he has or what he plans to do with them. So Gandalf is actually
      >playing poker, not chess....

      Have you played much chess? A talent of chess masters is to do things
      which the opponent can physically see but does not realize the significance
      of. Sauron knows perfectly well that spies are being sent into Mordor. He
      even captures one, and has his Lieutenant use his belongings to taunt the
      invaders at the Black Gate. What he doesn't know is the significance of
      what is happening. Frodo putting on the Ring at Mount Doom is as much the
      equivalent of Gandalf suddenly and unexpectedly making a check or even a
      checkmate as it is of Gandalf laying down the winning poker hand.

      - David Bratman