Re: [mythsoc] RotK Trailer

  • Kevin Bowring
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
      "David S. Bratman" wrote:

      > But that's not the worst of it. Gandalf's comparison of the storyline to
      > chess is a dead giveway: he thinks of the war itself as a giant war-playing
      > game.
      >
      > I think I've finally figured it out. Jackson is not making a film of "The
      > Lord of the Rings." He's making a film of a Lord of the Rings board game.
      > I think that would explain a lot. As a film of Tolkien's book, it sucks
      > and has always sucked. But as a film of a board game, it's really excellent.

      David, you don't know how much I needed a really good belly laugh today. On the
      money as usual.
      Thanks,
      Kevin
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
        At 07:19 AM 10/1/2003 , Susan wrote:

        >Doesn't Gandalf say, at some point in the written RotK, "The board is set,
        >and the pieces are moving"? I can't find it at the moment, but I have a
        >distinct memory of that; and if so, the chess metaphor is Tolkien's, not
        >Jackson's.

        Touche. But I still think the application of the metaphor is typical of
        Jackson's thinking, not Tolkien's. Notice how Tolkien, almost uniquely
        among fantasy authors, is able to write giant strategy sessions (the
        Council of Elrond and the Last Debate) that don't read like giant strategy
        sessions.

        - David Bratman
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
          At 07:32 AM 10/1/2003 , Janet wrote:

          >One older article I ran across in my research speculated that Sauron
          >wouldn't have been that good at chess. He didn't seem to understand feints
          >and sacrifices, and clearly couldn't see ahead to Gandalf's next moves.
          >Then there's the gaming metaphor that was used in the original Star Trek
          >somewhere -- Spock plays chess and Kirk plays poker. Spock's moves and
          >forces are all out in the open; he has no secrets from his opponent except
          >what's in his head. Kirk's hand is hidden -- you can't know for sure what
          >resources he has or what he plans to do with them. So Gandalf is actually
          >playing poker, not chess....

          Have you played much chess? A talent of chess masters is to do things
          which the opponent can physically see but does not realize the significance
          of. Sauron knows perfectly well that spies are being sent into Mordor. He
          even captures one, and has his Lieutenant use his belongings to taunt the
          invaders at the Black Gate. What he doesn't know is the significance of
          what is happening. Frodo putting on the Ring at Mount Doom is as much the
          equivalent of Gandalf suddenly and unexpectedly making a check or even a
          checkmate as it is of Gandalf laying down the winning poker hand.

          - David Bratman