Re: [mythsoc] RotK Trailer

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
      SusanPal@... wrote:

      >In a message dated 10/1/2003 12:45:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      >dbratman@... writes:
      >

      >>>Tuesday, December 16
      >>>One-time-only marathon of both the Extended Edition prints followed by the
      >>>first
      >>>screenings of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
      >>>

      >Oy! Bring lunch -- and dinner!

      And an extra Seat Cushion! (for the numb butt) We're talking 9 + hours
      of film viewing here!

      Still I wonder if I can talk Big Harold into it :-)

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa
    • Kevin Bowring
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
        "David S. Bratman" wrote:

        > But that's not the worst of it. Gandalf's comparison of the storyline to
        > chess is a dead giveway: he thinks of the war itself as a giant war-playing
        > game.
        >
        > I think I've finally figured it out. Jackson is not making a film of "The
        > Lord of the Rings." He's making a film of a Lord of the Rings board game.
        > I think that would explain a lot. As a film of Tolkien's book, it sucks
        > and has always sucked. But as a film of a board game, it's really excellent.

        David, you don't know how much I needed a really good belly laugh today. On the
        money as usual.
        Thanks,
        Kevin
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
          At 07:19 AM 10/1/2003 , Susan wrote:

          >Doesn't Gandalf say, at some point in the written RotK, "The board is set,
          >and the pieces are moving"? I can't find it at the moment, but I have a
          >distinct memory of that; and if so, the chess metaphor is Tolkien's, not
          >Jackson's.

          Touche. But I still think the application of the metaphor is typical of
          Jackson's thinking, not Tolkien's. Notice how Tolkien, almost uniquely
          among fantasy authors, is able to write giant strategy sessions (the
          Council of Elrond and the Last Debate) that don't read like giant strategy
          sessions.

          - David Bratman
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
            At 07:32 AM 10/1/2003 , Janet wrote:

            >One older article I ran across in my research speculated that Sauron
            >wouldn't have been that good at chess. He didn't seem to understand feints
            >and sacrifices, and clearly couldn't see ahead to Gandalf's next moves.
            >Then there's the gaming metaphor that was used in the original Star Trek
            >somewhere -- Spock plays chess and Kirk plays poker. Spock's moves and
            >forces are all out in the open; he has no secrets from his opponent except
            >what's in his head. Kirk's hand is hidden -- you can't know for sure what
            >resources he has or what he plans to do with them. So Gandalf is actually
            >playing poker, not chess....

            Have you played much chess? A talent of chess masters is to do things
            which the opponent can physically see but does not realize the significance
            of. Sauron knows perfectly well that spies are being sent into Mordor. He
            even captures one, and has his Lieutenant use his belongings to taunt the
            invaders at the Black Gate. What he doesn't know is the significance of
            what is happening. Frodo putting on the Ring at Mount Doom is as much the
            equivalent of Gandalf suddenly and unexpectedly making a check or even a
            checkmate as it is of Gandalf laying down the winning poker hand.

            - David Bratman