Re: Re: [mythsoc] The Forest of Forever

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
      In a message dated 10/1/3 12:27:11 PM, Lizzie Triano wrote:

      <<But seriously, maybe some of his other books were more mainstream novel
      types. I can't imagine _Forest of Forever_ carrying any such argument.

      No, not really. His work is pretty much all of a piece, although, as I
      mentioned, his earlier work tended to be lighter and more sentimental than his later
      work. The message in his books -- if it could be called something as strong
      as that -- is that the world of Classical mythological creatures was a place
      for guilt-free sex, and as such far superior to Puritanical Christianity (one
      can easily see how, if one takes this seriously enough, it can come across as
      "silly"). However (with a very few exceptions), he usually avoids making this
      point too earnestly or heavily.
      Alexei
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
        No, not really. His work is pretty much all of a piece, although, as I
        mentioned, his earlier work tended to be lighter and more sentimental than
        his later
        work. The message in his books -- if it could be called something as strong
        as that -- is that the world of Classical mythological creatures was a
        place
        for guilt-free sex, and as such far superior to Puritanical Christianity
        (one
        can easily see how, if one takes this seriously enough, it can come across
        as
        "silly"). However (with a very few exceptions), he usually avoids making
        this
        point too earnestly or heavily. >>

        Which is not a bad thing certainly! Some otherwise wonderful series
        (serieses?) have been derailed by the author's love for his or her
        "message". Like that Holy Mole in the Duncton books, and I"m not sure
        quite what in Lawhead's Arthurian tales.

        I wonder, if you followed up some of these dryads and satyrs in later
        years, if the heartaches and diseases from their guilt-free sex might give
        a little common sense room to enter? Or I suppose they are all sharing
        their tales of woe in some dark, smoky honky-tonk.

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Kevin Bowring
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
          Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

          > Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
          > gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and
          > Roman
          > gods were better than anything we have today. >>
          >
          > Considering how ticked I am at organized religion at the moment, I'd be
          > vulnerable to that line of argument -- except that it would have to be
          > another set of gods. I am thinking a basic nature spirituality might work
          > nicely.

          I understand about being "ticked" at organized religion, but I don't think I
          would really like gods whose actions are suitable for the front pages of the
          tabloids.

          Cheers,
          Kevin
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 2, 2003
            I understand about being "ticked" at organized religion, but I don't think I
            would really like gods whose actions are suitable for the front pages of the
            tabloids. >>

            Oh you're right of course; in a deity as well as a spouse, I prefer mystery
            to entertainment. But as you pointed out in another post about another
            subject, sometimes sheer entertainment value is a healthy thing too.

            Lizzie Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia