Re: [mythsoc] The Forest of Forever

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
      Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
      gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and
      Roman
      gods were better than anything we have today. >>

      Considering how ticked I am at organized religion at the moment, I'd be
      vulnerable to that line of argument -- except that it would have to be
      another set of gods. I am thinking a basic nature spirituality might work
      nicely.

      But seriously, maybe some of his other books were more mainstream novel
      types. I can't imagine _Forest of Forever_ carrying any such argument.
      But maybe, as a teen, I missed that level of meaning.

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
        I'm getting more curious about this book; the title's intriguing, and it's
        going to be interesting to find out how "silly" it is. Oh, well, I'm going
        to the library anyway . . . . ---djb

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
          In a message dated 10/1/3 12:27:11 PM, Lizzie Triano wrote:

          <<But seriously, maybe some of his other books were more mainstream novel
          types. I can't imagine _Forest of Forever_ carrying any such argument.

          No, not really. His work is pretty much all of a piece, although, as I
          mentioned, his earlier work tended to be lighter and more sentimental than his later
          work. The message in his books -- if it could be called something as strong
          as that -- is that the world of Classical mythological creatures was a place
          for guilt-free sex, and as such far superior to Puritanical Christianity (one
          can easily see how, if one takes this seriously enough, it can come across as
          "silly"). However (with a very few exceptions), he usually avoids making this
          point too earnestly or heavily.
          Alexei
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
            No, not really. His work is pretty much all of a piece, although, as I
            mentioned, his earlier work tended to be lighter and more sentimental than
            his later
            work. The message in his books -- if it could be called something as strong
            as that -- is that the world of Classical mythological creatures was a
            place
            for guilt-free sex, and as such far superior to Puritanical Christianity
            (one
            can easily see how, if one takes this seriously enough, it can come across
            as
            "silly"). However (with a very few exceptions), he usually avoids making
            this
            point too earnestly or heavily. >>

            Which is not a bad thing certainly! Some otherwise wonderful series
            (serieses?) have been derailed by the author's love for his or her
            "message". Like that Holy Mole in the Duncton books, and I"m not sure
            quite what in Lawhead's Arthurian tales.

            I wonder, if you followed up some of these dryads and satyrs in later
            years, if the heartaches and diseases from their guilt-free sex might give
            a little common sense room to enter? Or I suppose they are all sharing
            their tales of woe in some dark, smoky honky-tonk.

            Lizzie Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • Kevin Bowring
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
              Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

              > Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
              > gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and
              > Roman
              > gods were better than anything we have today. >>
              >
              > Considering how ticked I am at organized religion at the moment, I'd be
              > vulnerable to that line of argument -- except that it would have to be
              > another set of gods. I am thinking a basic nature spirituality might work
              > nicely.

              I understand about being "ticked" at organized religion, but I don't think I
              would really like gods whose actions are suitable for the front pages of the
              tabloids.

              Cheers,
              Kevin
            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 2, 2003
                I understand about being "ticked" at organized religion, but I don't think I
                would really like gods whose actions are suitable for the front pages of the
                tabloids. >>

                Oh you're right of course; in a deity as well as a spouse, I prefer mystery
                to entertainment. But as you pointed out in another post about another
                subject, sometimes sheer entertainment value is a healthy thing too.

                Lizzie Triano
                lizziewriter@...
                amor vincit omnia