Re: [mythsoc] The Forest of Forever

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
      In a message dated 9/30/2003 11:35:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      lizziewriter@... writes:

      > So how HAVE you heard them described ?? Now I must know.

      Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
      gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and Roman
      gods were better than anything we have today.

      Wendell

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
        Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
        gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and
        Roman
        gods were better than anything we have today. >>

        Considering how ticked I am at organized religion at the moment, I'd be
        vulnerable to that line of argument -- except that it would have to be
        another set of gods. I am thinking a basic nature spirituality might work
        nicely.

        But seriously, maybe some of his other books were more mainstream novel
        types. I can't imagine _Forest of Forever_ carrying any such argument.
        But maybe, as a teen, I missed that level of meaning.

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
          I'm getting more curious about this book; the title's intriguing, and it's
          going to be interesting to find out how "silly" it is. Oh, well, I'm going
          to the library anyway . . . . ---djb

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
            In a message dated 10/1/3 12:27:11 PM, Lizzie Triano wrote:

            <<But seriously, maybe some of his other books were more mainstream novel
            types. I can't imagine _Forest of Forever_ carrying any such argument.

            No, not really. His work is pretty much all of a piece, although, as I
            mentioned, his earlier work tended to be lighter and more sentimental than his later
            work. The message in his books -- if it could be called something as strong
            as that -- is that the world of Classical mythological creatures was a place
            for guilt-free sex, and as such far superior to Puritanical Christianity (one
            can easily see how, if one takes this seriously enough, it can come across as
            "silly"). However (with a very few exceptions), he usually avoids making this
            point too earnestly or heavily.
            Alexei
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
              No, not really. His work is pretty much all of a piece, although, as I
              mentioned, his earlier work tended to be lighter and more sentimental than
              his later
              work. The message in his books -- if it could be called something as strong
              as that -- is that the world of Classical mythological creatures was a
              place
              for guilt-free sex, and as such far superior to Puritanical Christianity
              (one
              can easily see how, if one takes this seriously enough, it can come across
              as
              "silly"). However (with a very few exceptions), he usually avoids making
              this
              point too earnestly or heavily. >>

              Which is not a bad thing certainly! Some otherwise wonderful series
              (serieses?) have been derailed by the author's love for his or her
              "message". Like that Holy Mole in the Duncton books, and I"m not sure
              quite what in Lawhead's Arthurian tales.

              I wonder, if you followed up some of these dryads and satyrs in later
              years, if the heartaches and diseases from their guilt-free sex might give
              a little common sense room to enter? Or I suppose they are all sharing
              their tales of woe in some dark, smoky honky-tonk.

              Lizzie Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • Kevin Bowring
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                > Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
                > gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and
                > Roman
                > gods were better than anything we have today. >>
                >
                > Considering how ticked I am at organized religion at the moment, I'd be
                > vulnerable to that line of argument -- except that it would have to be
                > another set of gods. I am thinking a basic nature spirituality might work
                > nicely.

                I understand about being "ticked" at organized religion, but I don't think I
                would really like gods whose actions are suitable for the front pages of the
                tabloids.

                Cheers,
                Kevin
              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 2, 2003
                  I understand about being "ticked" at organized religion, but I don't think I
                  would really like gods whose actions are suitable for the front pages of the
                  tabloids. >>

                  Oh you're right of course; in a deity as well as a spouse, I prefer mystery
                  to entertainment. But as you pointed out in another post about another
                  subject, sometimes sheer entertainment value is a healthy thing too.

                  Lizzie Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia