The Two Towers, movie

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
      juliet@... wrote:

      > They changed the stewed rabbit to fish and chips, eh? Maybe too many
      > moviegoers would feel sorry for the poor bunnies or something.

      Changed? Well, somewhat. From the book, TT, "Of Herbs and Stewed
      Rabbit":

      Sam: "I'll cook you some taters one of these days. I will: fried fish
      and chips, served by S. Gamgee."

      Gollum: "Give me fish, now, and keep nassty chips!"

      Joan
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • Benjamin K. Badgley
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
        I'm looking for more information on the Greek God known
        as Phosphorus.
        <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosporus> He is son of
        Eos <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eos>. Phosphorus is
        also called Hesperos.
        <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesperos> The Romans
        altered his name to Vesper, Venus, Lucifer.
        <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer> So far I know
        he may have been king of Thessaly
        <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thessaly> and also
        called Ceyx <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceyx>. I'll
        continue searching any aid is appreciated. I'm looking
        for more information upon him aside from Christian
        demon. Bullfinch's has nothing really and other sources
        have failed to lend any light to this research.

        Benjamin Badgley
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
          Try this page

          http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

        • Carl F. Hostetter
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
            Um... have you considered consulting actual books, maybe from a
            library? With the possible exception of Bullfinch, all that you cite
            are web references -- and I note that the text of Bullfinch is readily
            available online, and suspect that that is what you consulted.

            Robert Graves? Larousse? Edith Hamilton? Any of a host of more detailed
            books and journal articles on Greek mythology? The former of these are
            readily found in any decent library, and the latter in most university
            libraries, together with the MLA index....
          • Benjamin K. Badgley
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
              Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
              > Um... have you considered consulting actual books, maybe from a
              > library? With the possible exception of Bullfinch, all that you cite
              > are web references -- and I note that the text of Bullfinch is readily
              > available online, and suspect that that is what you consulted.
              >
              > Robert Graves? Larousse? Edith Hamilton? Any of a host of more detailed
              > books and journal articles on Greek mythology? The former of these are
              > readily found in any decent library, and the latter in most university
              > libraries, together with the MLA index....

              I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in
              our local library. Wasn't aware the three names you present
              above. Our local library may well have them, my apologies
              for ignorance. Still to learn we ask. Thank you.

              Benjamin Badgley
            • Benjamin K. Badgley
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                Stolzi@... wrote:

                > Try this page
                >
                > http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

                Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
                information though is of no less value, combined the
                two may present an objective view.

                Benjamin Badgley
              • Carl F. Hostetter
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                  On Oct 2, 2003, at 11:24 PM, Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

                  > I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in our local
                  > library. Wasn't aware the three names you present above.

                  In that case, I particularly recommend that you seek out a copy of
                  Robert Graves's _The Greek Myths_ (readily available in inexpensive
                  editions as well). This is Greek mythology presented in detail, and in
                  a much less homogenized form than Bullfinch or Hamilton.
                • David S. Bratman
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                    At 08:28 PM 10/2/2003 , Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

                    >Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
                    >information though is of no less value, combined the
                    >two may present an objective view.

                    Some web information is indeed excellent. But the chances of finding
                    something worse than useless and not being able to realize how bad it is,
                    or of not finding what you need at all, are much higher than with library
                    books, though certainly they've been known to have their flaws too. The
                    two are not at all equal. In some fields the web is even better. In
                    something like Greek mythology, you're liable to find some good basic
                    encyclopedia stuff on the web, though the best is probably in encyclopedia
                    sites not easily found by Googling. But the rich detail you need to
                    understand the myths is probably in large part not online, and that which
                    is online would be too long to read comfortably that way.

                    - David Bratman
                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                      Hullo Benjamin

                      Another thing you might like to try is to hit a big old used book store, if
                      there is such in your stomping grounds. Their mythology section could
                      well be more fascinating than the library's (depending on your library of
                      course).

                      Lizzie Triano
                      lizziewriter@...
                      amor vincit omnia