Re: [mythsoc] The Two Towers, movie

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
      They changed the stewed rabbit to fish and chips, eh? Maybe too many
      moviegoers would feel sorry for the poor bunnies or something.

      Julie, who probably ought to see TT sometime >>

      Oh no! Sorry... the actual scene revolved around, yes "a brace of coneys",
      but then the conversation turned to fish. Gollum, with marvellous
      expression, says something like, Give it to me fresssh and wrrriggling!
      Hobbit keep nassty cchipss!"

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
        juliet@... wrote:

        > They changed the stewed rabbit to fish and chips, eh? Maybe too many
        > moviegoers would feel sorry for the poor bunnies or something.

        Changed? Well, somewhat. From the book, TT, "Of Herbs and Stewed
        Rabbit":

        Sam: "I'll cook you some taters one of these days. I will: fried fish
        and chips, served by S. Gamgee."

        Gollum: "Give me fish, now, and keep nassty chips!"

        Joan
        Joan Marie Verba
        verba001@...
      • Benjamin K. Badgley
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
          I'm looking for more information on the Greek God known
          as Phosphorus.
          <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosporus> He is son of
          Eos <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eos>. Phosphorus is
          also called Hesperos.
          <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesperos> The Romans
          altered his name to Vesper, Venus, Lucifer.
          <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer> So far I know
          he may have been king of Thessaly
          <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thessaly> and also
          called Ceyx <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceyx>. I'll
          continue searching any aid is appreciated. I'm looking
          for more information upon him aside from Christian
          demon. Bullfinch's has nothing really and other sources
          have failed to lend any light to this research.

          Benjamin Badgley
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
            Try this page

            http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

          • Carl F. Hostetter
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
              Um... have you considered consulting actual books, maybe from a
              library? With the possible exception of Bullfinch, all that you cite
              are web references -- and I note that the text of Bullfinch is readily
              available online, and suspect that that is what you consulted.

              Robert Graves? Larousse? Edith Hamilton? Any of a host of more detailed
              books and journal articles on Greek mythology? The former of these are
              readily found in any decent library, and the latter in most university
              libraries, together with the MLA index....
            • Benjamin K. Badgley
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
                > Um... have you considered consulting actual books, maybe from a
                > library? With the possible exception of Bullfinch, all that you cite
                > are web references -- and I note that the text of Bullfinch is readily
                > available online, and suspect that that is what you consulted.
                >
                > Robert Graves? Larousse? Edith Hamilton? Any of a host of more detailed
                > books and journal articles on Greek mythology? The former of these are
                > readily found in any decent library, and the latter in most university
                > libraries, together with the MLA index....

                I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in
                our local library. Wasn't aware the three names you present
                above. Our local library may well have them, my apologies
                for ignorance. Still to learn we ask. Thank you.

                Benjamin Badgley
              • Benjamin K. Badgley
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                  Stolzi@... wrote:

                  > Try this page
                  >
                  > http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

                  Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
                  information though is of no less value, combined the
                  two may present an objective view.

                  Benjamin Badgley
                • Carl F. Hostetter
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                    On Oct 2, 2003, at 11:24 PM, Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

                    > I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in our local
                    > library. Wasn't aware the three names you present above.

                    In that case, I particularly recommend that you seek out a copy of
                    Robert Graves's _The Greek Myths_ (readily available in inexpensive
                    editions as well). This is Greek mythology presented in detail, and in
                    a much less homogenized form than Bullfinch or Hamilton.
                  • David S. Bratman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                      At 08:28 PM 10/2/2003 , Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

                      >Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
                      >information though is of no less value, combined the
                      >two may present an objective view.

                      Some web information is indeed excellent. But the chances of finding
                      something worse than useless and not being able to realize how bad it is,
                      or of not finding what you need at all, are much higher than with library
                      books, though certainly they've been known to have their flaws too. The
                      two are not at all equal. In some fields the web is even better. In
                      something like Greek mythology, you're liable to find some good basic
                      encyclopedia stuff on the web, though the best is probably in encyclopedia
                      sites not easily found by Googling. But the rich detail you need to
                      understand the myths is probably in large part not online, and that which
                      is online would be too long to read comfortably that way.

                      - David Bratman
                    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                        Hullo Benjamin

                        Another thing you might like to try is to hit a big old used book store, if
                        there is such in your stomping grounds. Their mythology section could
                        well be more fascinating than the library's (depending on your library of
                        course).

                        Lizzie Triano
                        lizziewriter@...
                        amor vincit omnia