Re: [mythsoc] The Two Towers, movie

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
      In a message dated 9/30/2003 2:24:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, juliet@... writes:

      > They changed the stewed rabbit to fish and chips, eh? Maybe too many
      > moviegoers would feel sorry for the poor bunnies or
      > something.

      No, there are rabbits too.

      Susan
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
        They changed the stewed rabbit to fish and chips, eh? Maybe too many
        moviegoers would feel sorry for the poor bunnies or something.

        Julie, who probably ought to see TT sometime >>

        Oh no! Sorry... the actual scene revolved around, yes "a brace of coneys",
        but then the conversation turned to fish. Gollum, with marvellous
        expression, says something like, Give it to me fresssh and wrrriggling!
        Hobbit keep nassty cchipss!"

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
          juliet@... wrote:

          > They changed the stewed rabbit to fish and chips, eh? Maybe too many
          > moviegoers would feel sorry for the poor bunnies or something.

          Changed? Well, somewhat. From the book, TT, "Of Herbs and Stewed
          Rabbit":

          Sam: "I'll cook you some taters one of these days. I will: fried fish
          and chips, served by S. Gamgee."

          Gollum: "Give me fish, now, and keep nassty chips!"

          Joan
          Joan Marie Verba
          verba001@...
        • Benjamin K. Badgley
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
            I'm looking for more information on the Greek God known
            as Phosphorus.
            <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosporus> He is son of
            Eos <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eos>. Phosphorus is
            also called Hesperos.
            <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesperos> The Romans
            altered his name to Vesper, Venus, Lucifer.
            <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer> So far I know
            he may have been king of Thessaly
            <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thessaly> and also
            called Ceyx <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceyx>. I'll
            continue searching any aid is appreciated. I'm looking
            for more information upon him aside from Christian
            demon. Bullfinch's has nothing really and other sources
            have failed to lend any light to this research.

            Benjamin Badgley
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
              Try this page

              http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                Um... have you considered consulting actual books, maybe from a
                library? With the possible exception of Bullfinch, all that you cite
                are web references -- and I note that the text of Bullfinch is readily
                available online, and suspect that that is what you consulted.

                Robert Graves? Larousse? Edith Hamilton? Any of a host of more detailed
                books and journal articles on Greek mythology? The former of these are
                readily found in any decent library, and the latter in most university
                libraries, together with the MLA index....
              • Benjamin K. Badgley
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                  Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
                  > Um... have you considered consulting actual books, maybe from a
                  > library? With the possible exception of Bullfinch, all that you cite
                  > are web references -- and I note that the text of Bullfinch is readily
                  > available online, and suspect that that is what you consulted.
                  >
                  > Robert Graves? Larousse? Edith Hamilton? Any of a host of more detailed
                  > books and journal articles on Greek mythology? The former of these are
                  > readily found in any decent library, and the latter in most university
                  > libraries, together with the MLA index....

                  I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in
                  our local library. Wasn't aware the three names you present
                  above. Our local library may well have them, my apologies
                  for ignorance. Still to learn we ask. Thank you.

                  Benjamin Badgley
                • Benjamin K. Badgley
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                    Stolzi@... wrote:

                    > Try this page
                    >
                    > http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

                    Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
                    information though is of no less value, combined the
                    two may present an objective view.

                    Benjamin Badgley
                  • Carl F. Hostetter
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                      On Oct 2, 2003, at 11:24 PM, Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

                      > I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in our local
                      > library. Wasn't aware the three names you present above.

                      In that case, I particularly recommend that you seek out a copy of
                      Robert Graves's _The Greek Myths_ (readily available in inexpensive
                      editions as well). This is Greek mythology presented in detail, and in
                      a much less homogenized form than Bullfinch or Hamilton.
                    • David S. Bratman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                        At 08:28 PM 10/2/2003 , Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

                        >Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
                        >information though is of no less value, combined the
                        >two may present an objective view.

                        Some web information is indeed excellent. But the chances of finding
                        something worse than useless and not being able to realize how bad it is,
                        or of not finding what you need at all, are much higher than with library
                        books, though certainly they've been known to have their flaws too. The
                        two are not at all equal. In some fields the web is even better. In
                        something like Greek mythology, you're liable to find some good basic
                        encyclopedia stuff on the web, though the best is probably in encyclopedia
                        sites not easily found by Googling. But the rich detail you need to
                        understand the myths is probably in large part not online, and that which
                        is online would be too long to read comfortably that way.

                        - David Bratman
                      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                          Hullo Benjamin

                          Another thing you might like to try is to hit a big old used book store, if
                          there is such in your stomping grounds. Their mythology section could
                          well be more fascinating than the library's (depending on your library of
                          course).

                          Lizzie Triano
                          lizziewriter@...
                          amor vincit omnia