Re: [mythsoc] The Two Towers, movie

  • juliet@firinn.org
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30 11:24 AM
      On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:21:21AM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
      > ANYway, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the interchange between
      > Sam and Gollum/Smeagol over fish and chips. I remember the whole cooking
      > thing from the books, and think they did a good job with that scene at
      > least. Will there be more ?

      They changed the stewed rabbit to fish and chips, eh? Maybe too many
      moviegoers would feel sorry for the poor bunnies or something.

      Julie, who probably ought to see TT sometime
    • SusanPal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 30 12:19 PM
        In a message dated 9/30/2003 2:24:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, juliet@... writes:

        > They changed the stewed rabbit to fish and chips, eh? Maybe too many
        > moviegoers would feel sorry for the poor bunnies or
        > something.

        No, there are rabbits too.

        Susan
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 30 12:37 PM
          They changed the stewed rabbit to fish and chips, eh? Maybe too many
          moviegoers would feel sorry for the poor bunnies or something.

          Julie, who probably ought to see TT sometime >>

          Oh no! Sorry... the actual scene revolved around, yes "a brace of coneys",
          but then the conversation turned to fish. Gollum, with marvellous
          expression, says something like, Give it to me fresssh and wrrriggling!
          Hobbit keep nassty cchipss!"

          Lizzie Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 30 12:56 PM
            juliet@... wrote:

            > They changed the stewed rabbit to fish and chips, eh? Maybe too many
            > moviegoers would feel sorry for the poor bunnies or something.

            Changed? Well, somewhat. From the book, TT, "Of Herbs and Stewed
            Rabbit":

            Sam: "I'll cook you some taters one of these days. I will: fried fish
            and chips, served by S. Gamgee."

            Gollum: "Give me fish, now, and keep nassty chips!"

            Joan
            Joan Marie Verba
            verba001@...
          • Benjamin K. Badgley
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
              I'm looking for more information on the Greek God known
              as Phosphorus.
              <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosporus> He is son of
              Eos <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eos>. Phosphorus is
              also called Hesperos.
              <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesperos> The Romans
              altered his name to Vesper, Venus, Lucifer.
              <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer> So far I know
              he may have been king of Thessaly
              <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thessaly> and also
              called Ceyx <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceyx>. I'll
              continue searching any aid is appreciated. I'm looking
              for more information upon him aside from Christian
              demon. Bullfinch's has nothing really and other sources
              have failed to lend any light to this research.

              Benjamin Badgley
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                Try this page

                http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

              • Carl F. Hostetter
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                  Um... have you considered consulting actual books, maybe from a
                  library? With the possible exception of Bullfinch, all that you cite
                  are web references -- and I note that the text of Bullfinch is readily
                  available online, and suspect that that is what you consulted.

                  Robert Graves? Larousse? Edith Hamilton? Any of a host of more detailed
                  books and journal articles on Greek mythology? The former of these are
                  readily found in any decent library, and the latter in most university
                  libraries, together with the MLA index....
                • Benjamin K. Badgley
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                    Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
                    > Um... have you considered consulting actual books, maybe from a
                    > library? With the possible exception of Bullfinch, all that you cite
                    > are web references -- and I note that the text of Bullfinch is readily
                    > available online, and suspect that that is what you consulted.
                    >
                    > Robert Graves? Larousse? Edith Hamilton? Any of a host of more detailed
                    > books and journal articles on Greek mythology? The former of these are
                    > readily found in any decent library, and the latter in most university
                    > libraries, together with the MLA index....

                    I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in
                    our local library. Wasn't aware the three names you present
                    above. Our local library may well have them, my apologies
                    for ignorance. Still to learn we ask. Thank you.

                    Benjamin Badgley
                  • Benjamin K. Badgley
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                      Stolzi@... wrote:

                      > Try this page
                      >
                      > http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

                      Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
                      information though is of no less value, combined the
                      two may present an objective view.

                      Benjamin Badgley
                    • Carl F. Hostetter
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                        On Oct 2, 2003, at 11:24 PM, Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

                        > I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in our local
                        > library. Wasn't aware the three names you present above.

                        In that case, I particularly recommend that you seek out a copy of
                        Robert Graves's _The Greek Myths_ (readily available in inexpensive
                        editions as well). This is Greek mythology presented in detail, and in
                        a much less homogenized form than Bullfinch or Hamilton.
                      • David S. Bratman
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                          At 08:28 PM 10/2/2003 , Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

                          >Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
                          >information though is of no less value, combined the
                          >two may present an objective view.

                          Some web information is indeed excellent. But the chances of finding
                          something worse than useless and not being able to realize how bad it is,
                          or of not finding what you need at all, are much higher than with library
                          books, though certainly they've been known to have their flaws too. The
                          two are not at all equal. In some fields the web is even better. In
                          something like Greek mythology, you're liable to find some good basic
                          encyclopedia stuff on the web, though the best is probably in encyclopedia
                          sites not easily found by Googling. But the rich detail you need to
                          understand the myths is probably in large part not online, and that which
                          is online would be too long to read comfortably that way.

                          - David Bratman
                        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                            Hullo Benjamin

                            Another thing you might like to try is to hit a big old used book store, if
                            there is such in your stomping grounds. Their mythology section could
                            well be more fascinating than the library's (depending on your library of
                            course).

                            Lizzie Triano
                            lizziewriter@...
                            amor vincit omnia