RotK Trailer

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2003
      The Return of the King movie trailer is now up (theonering.net or
      lordoftherings.net has it). Through the magic of Quicktime (which I had
      to load) and a high-speed internet connection, I got to see it twice. I
      was impressed.

      There was a pop-up screen saying there are special screenings in
      December. I may consider going out and seeing one (my birthday present,
      my precious!).

      Joan
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
        I managed to download the trailer. Interesting. The visuals are
        impressive as always. And Jackson seems to have gotten the right angle on
        the moral significance of the war side of the story, at least. But the
        dialogue ...

        Sam's "He means to murder us!" is way over the top, and then there are such
        glories as:

        Legolas: "The Eye of the Enemy is moving." How is it moving? Is it
        bouncing up and down like the little ball in those old Mitch Miller videos?
        Tell us, with those keen Elven eyes of yours.

        and

        Elrond to Aragorn: "Become who you were born to be!" Be all you can be!
        Join the Gondor Army!

        But that's not the worst of it. Gandalf's comparison of the storyline to
        chess is a dead giveway: he thinks of the war itself as a giant war-playing
        game.

        I think I've finally figured it out. Jackson is not making a film of "The
        Lord of the Rings." He's making a film of a Lord of the Rings board game.
        I think that would explain a lot. As a film of Tolkien's book, it sucks
        and has always sucked. But as a film of a board game, it's really excellent.

        At 10:24 AM 9/30/2003 , Joan wrote:
        >There was a pop-up screen saying there are special screenings in
        >December. I may consider going out and seeing one (my birthday present,
        >my precious!).

        As a public service, here's what it actually says. Some may want to go to
        these:

        >THE LORD OF THE RINGS: SPECIAL EXTENDED EDITION SCREENING ENGAGEMENT BRINGS
        >ADDITIONAL FOOTAGE TO THE BIG SCREEN FOR THE FIRST AND ONLY TIME
        >
        >Leading up to the December 17 release of The Lord of The Rings: The Return
        >of the King, the final film Peter Jackson´┐Żs epic trilogy, New Line Cinema
        >will bring moviegoers an exclusive, ONE-time-only in-theater event:
        >
        >The Lord of the Rings Special Extended Edition Screening Engagement.
        >
        >The schedule for this special theatrical screening series is as follows:
        >
        >December 5-11
        >Special Extended Edition The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
        >
        >December 12-15
        >Special Extended Edition The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
        >
        >Tuesday, December 16
        >One-time-only marathon of both the Extended Edition prints followed by the
        >first
        >screenings of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

        - David Bratman
      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
          In a message dated 10/1/2003 12:45:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          dbratman@... writes:

          > Gandalf's comparison of the storyline to
          > chess is a dead giveway: he thinks of the war itself as a giant war-playing
          > game.

          Doesn't Gandalf say, at some point in the written RotK, "The board is set,
          and the pieces are moving"? I can't find it at the moment, but I have a
          distinct memory of that; and if so, the chess metaphor is Tolkien's, not Jackson's.

          Susan

        • SusanPal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
            dbratman@... writes:

            > >Tuesday, December 16
            > >One-time-only marathon of both the Extended Edition prints followed by the
            > >first
            > >screenings of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

            Oy! Bring lunch -- and dinner!

            Susan

          • Croft, Janet B
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
              In the chapter "Minas Tirith", Gandalf tells Pippin "The board is set, and
              the pieces are moving ... But the Enemy has the move, and he is about to
              open his full game. And pawns are likely to see as much of it as any..."
              And Aragorn continues the game metaphor at the end of "The Last Debate":
              "Nay, it is the last move in a great jeopardy, and for one side or the other
              it will bring the end of the game."

              So the game metaphor is Tolkien's -- but I do like David's observation that
              Jackson's film reads like a big RPG. So THAT's where the added bits like
              Aragorn falling into the river and being rescued by the wonder horse come
              from...

              One older article I ran across in my research speculated that Sauron
              wouldn't have been that good at chess. He didn't seem to understand feints
              and sacrifices, and clearly couldn't see ahead to Gandalf's next moves.
              Then there's the gaming metaphor that was used in the original Star Trek
              somewhere -- Spock plays chess and Kirk plays poker. Spock's moves and
              forces are all out in the open; he has no secrets from his opponent except
              what's in his head. Kirk's hand is hidden -- you can't know for sure what
              resources he has or what he plans to do with them. So Gandalf is actually
              playing poker, not chess....

              Janet Croft

              dbratman@... writes:

              > Gandalf's comparison of the storyline to
              > chess is a dead giveway: he thinks of the war itself as a giant
              war-playing
              > game.

              Doesn't Gandalf say, at some point in the written RotK, "The board is set,
              and the pieces are moving"? I can't find it at the moment, but I have a
              distinct memory of that; and if so, the chess metaphor is Tolkien's, not
              Jackson's.

              Susan

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
              27:HM/A=1784493/R=0/id=noscript/SIG=11q7p9e7k/*http://webevents.yahoo.com/un
              iversal/intolerablecruelty/>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=256694.4002236.5216697.1261774/D=egroupmai
              l/S=:HM/A=1784493/rand=406610955>

              <http://www.mythsoc.org>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
                SusanPal@... wrote:

                >In a message dated 10/1/2003 12:45:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                >dbratman@... writes:
                >

                >>>Tuesday, December 16
                >>>One-time-only marathon of both the Extended Edition prints followed by the
                >>>first
                >>>screenings of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
                >>>

                >Oy! Bring lunch -- and dinner!

                And an extra Seat Cushion! (for the numb butt) We're talking 9 + hours
                of film viewing here!

                Still I wonder if I can talk Big Harold into it :-)

                Mythically yours,
                Lisa
              • Kevin Bowring
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
                  "David S. Bratman" wrote:

                  > But that's not the worst of it. Gandalf's comparison of the storyline to
                  > chess is a dead giveway: he thinks of the war itself as a giant war-playing
                  > game.
                  >
                  > I think I've finally figured it out. Jackson is not making a film of "The
                  > Lord of the Rings." He's making a film of a Lord of the Rings board game.
                  > I think that would explain a lot. As a film of Tolkien's book, it sucks
                  > and has always sucked. But as a film of a board game, it's really excellent.

                  David, you don't know how much I needed a really good belly laugh today. On the
                  money as usual.
                  Thanks,
                  Kevin
                • David S. Bratman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
                    At 07:19 AM 10/1/2003 , Susan wrote:

                    >Doesn't Gandalf say, at some point in the written RotK, "The board is set,
                    >and the pieces are moving"? I can't find it at the moment, but I have a
                    >distinct memory of that; and if so, the chess metaphor is Tolkien's, not
                    >Jackson's.

                    Touche. But I still think the application of the metaphor is typical of
                    Jackson's thinking, not Tolkien's. Notice how Tolkien, almost uniquely
                    among fantasy authors, is able to write giant strategy sessions (the
                    Council of Elrond and the Last Debate) that don't read like giant strategy
                    sessions.

                    - David Bratman
                  • David S. Bratman
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 1, 2003
                      At 07:32 AM 10/1/2003 , Janet wrote:

                      >One older article I ran across in my research speculated that Sauron
                      >wouldn't have been that good at chess. He didn't seem to understand feints
                      >and sacrifices, and clearly couldn't see ahead to Gandalf's next moves.
                      >Then there's the gaming metaphor that was used in the original Star Trek
                      >somewhere -- Spock plays chess and Kirk plays poker. Spock's moves and
                      >forces are all out in the open; he has no secrets from his opponent except
                      >what's in his head. Kirk's hand is hidden -- you can't know for sure what
                      >resources he has or what he plans to do with them. So Gandalf is actually
                      >playing poker, not chess....

                      Have you played much chess? A talent of chess masters is to do things
                      which the opponent can physically see but does not realize the significance
                      of. Sauron knows perfectly well that spies are being sent into Mordor. He
                      even captures one, and has his Lieutenant use his belongings to taunt the
                      invaders at the Black Gate. What he doesn't know is the significance of
                      what is happening. Frodo putting on the Ring at Mount Doom is as much the
                      equivalent of Gandalf suddenly and unexpectedly making a check or even a
                      checkmate as it is of Gandalf laying down the winning poker hand.

                      - David Bratman