The Two Towers, movie

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
      Hi all,

      Here at the Trianos we are finally watching TTT. First the kids had to see
      FOTR (we scrounged up a VHS of the original shorter version). The original
      idea with TTT was for Torey and myself to watch it first, then with the
      kids, but we only got halfway through and then we're rewatching it. So
      there is the interesting situation of discussing and explaining to the
      little ones as I'm trying to hear and figure out what is happening in the
      movie. Thank goodness I know what is going on, otherwise there's many
      places I wouldn't have a clue.

      ANYway, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the interchange between
      Sam and Gollum/Smeagol over fish and chips. I remember the whole cooking
      thing from the books, and think they did a good job with that scene at
      least. Will there be more ?

      We're not much further along than that in watching it, either, at this
      point.

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • juliet@firinn.org
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
        On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:21:21AM -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
        > ANYway, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the interchange between
        > Sam and Gollum/Smeagol over fish and chips. I remember the whole cooking
        > thing from the books, and think they did a good job with that scene at
        > least. Will there be more ?

        They changed the stewed rabbit to fish and chips, eh? Maybe too many
        moviegoers would feel sorry for the poor bunnies or something.

        Julie, who probably ought to see TT sometime
      • SusanPal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
          In a message dated 9/30/2003 2:24:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time, juliet@... writes:

          > They changed the stewed rabbit to fish and chips, eh? Maybe too many
          > moviegoers would feel sorry for the poor bunnies or
          > something.

          No, there are rabbits too.

          Susan
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
            They changed the stewed rabbit to fish and chips, eh? Maybe too many
            moviegoers would feel sorry for the poor bunnies or something.

            Julie, who probably ought to see TT sometime >>

            Oh no! Sorry... the actual scene revolved around, yes "a brace of coneys",
            but then the conversation turned to fish. Gollum, with marvellous
            expression, says something like, Give it to me fresssh and wrrriggling!
            Hobbit keep nassty cchipss!"

            Lizzie Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • Joan Marie Verba
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
              juliet@... wrote:

              > They changed the stewed rabbit to fish and chips, eh? Maybe too many
              > moviegoers would feel sorry for the poor bunnies or something.

              Changed? Well, somewhat. From the book, TT, "Of Herbs and Stewed
              Rabbit":

              Sam: "I'll cook you some taters one of these days. I will: fried fish
              and chips, served by S. Gamgee."

              Gollum: "Give me fish, now, and keep nassty chips!"

              Joan
              Joan Marie Verba
              verba001@...
            • Benjamin K. Badgley
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                I'm looking for more information on the Greek God known
                as Phosphorus.
                <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosporus> He is son of
                Eos <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eos>. Phosphorus is
                also called Hesperos.
                <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hesperos> The Romans
                altered his name to Vesper, Venus, Lucifer.
                <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer> So far I know
                he may have been king of Thessaly
                <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thessaly> and also
                called Ceyx <http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceyx>. I'll
                continue searching any aid is appreciated. I'm looking
                for more information upon him aside from Christian
                demon. Bullfinch's has nothing really and other sources
                have failed to lend any light to this research.

                Benjamin Badgley
              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                  Try this page

                  http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

                • Carl F. Hostetter
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                    Um... have you considered consulting actual books, maybe from a
                    library? With the possible exception of Bullfinch, all that you cite
                    are web references -- and I note that the text of Bullfinch is readily
                    available online, and suspect that that is what you consulted.

                    Robert Graves? Larousse? Edith Hamilton? Any of a host of more detailed
                    books and journal articles on Greek mythology? The former of these are
                    readily found in any decent library, and the latter in most university
                    libraries, together with the MLA index....
                  • Benjamin K. Badgley
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                      Carl F. Hostetter wrote:
                      > Um... have you considered consulting actual books, maybe from a
                      > library? With the possible exception of Bullfinch, all that you cite
                      > are web references -- and I note that the text of Bullfinch is readily
                      > available online, and suspect that that is what you consulted.
                      >
                      > Robert Graves? Larousse? Edith Hamilton? Any of a host of more detailed
                      > books and journal articles on Greek mythology? The former of these are
                      > readily found in any decent library, and the latter in most university
                      > libraries, together with the MLA index....

                      I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in
                      our local library. Wasn't aware the three names you present
                      above. Our local library may well have them, my apologies
                      for ignorance. Still to learn we ask. Thank you.

                      Benjamin Badgley
                    • Benjamin K. Badgley
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                        Stolzi@... wrote:

                        > Try this page
                        >
                        > http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Ceyx.html

                        Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
                        information though is of no less value, combined the
                        two may present an objective view.

                        Benjamin Badgley
                      • Carl F. Hostetter
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                          On Oct 2, 2003, at 11:24 PM, Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

                          > I also consulted a copy of Durant, and Bullfinch as books in our local
                          > library. Wasn't aware the three names you present above.

                          In that case, I particularly recommend that you seek out a copy of
                          Robert Graves's _The Greek Myths_ (readily available in inexpensive
                          editions as well). This is Greek mythology presented in detail, and in
                          a much less homogenized form than Bullfinch or Hamilton.
                        • David S. Bratman
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                            At 08:28 PM 10/2/2003 , Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

                            >Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
                            >information though is of no less value, combined the
                            >two may present an objective view.

                            Some web information is indeed excellent. But the chances of finding
                            something worse than useless and not being able to realize how bad it is,
                            or of not finding what you need at all, are much higher than with library
                            books, though certainly they've been known to have their flaws too. The
                            two are not at all equal. In some fields the web is even better. In
                            something like Greek mythology, you're liable to find some good basic
                            encyclopedia stuff on the web, though the best is probably in encyclopedia
                            sites not easily found by Googling. But the rich detail you need to
                            understand the myths is probably in large part not online, and that which
                            is online would be too long to read comfortably that way.

                            - David Bratman
                          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                              Hullo Benjamin

                              Another thing you might like to try is to hit a big old used book store, if
                              there is such in your stomping grounds. Their mythology section could
                              well be more fascinating than the library's (depending on your library of
                              course).

                              Lizzie Triano
                              lizziewriter@...
                              amor vincit omnia