Re: [mythsoc] The Forest of Forever and discussions of silliness

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2003
      I'm trying to guess why you think I don't like silliness. >>

      It's those quick sharp teeth. I was observing aloud to my family one of my
      own opinions of Gandalf, which is that he uses the word "fool" a lot. He
      and Strider have always been my favorite characters (OK and Glorfindel),
      but he doesn't suffer foolishness.

      << I like silliness in a novel. >>

      Humour is one of those very subjective things isn't it? I haven't
      attempted _There and Back Again_ yet, because there has to be some element
      of ... something subjective or funny ... about it, and I'm not sure I'll
      like it.

      << I'm sometimes bothered by silliness in a E-mail message or a mailing
      list post if the cutesiness of the message makes it hard to read. I really
      dislike it when someone tries to pass off as silliness in a message or a
      post something that is actually snide flippency, the point of which is to
      make fun of someone and then to blame them for not getting the joke if they
      complain. >>

      Ah, that is right up there with basic email cowardice, the whole
      being-nasty-from-a-distance thing. Don't even get me started.

      If I don't do silliness in my posts, that's mostly because I can't do it
      naturally. I can sometimes do elaborate absurd humor in a post, but I have
      to be careful about it, because half the time people don't understand that
      I'm joking and get mad about what they think is an offensive remark. >>

      Oh but it's so worth the risk sometimes. But then, I dont mind being a
      fool. I should be more careful because feelings can get hurt. >>

      But are Thomas Burnett Swann's novels silly? I've never read any of them,
      but that's not how I've heard them described. I'd list all of his novels,
      but
      I've got to leave for work immediately and don't have time to look them up.

      OK well it's been about 20 years since I've read FoF, and I'm sure my point
      of view has changed. Perhaps "silly" is less accurate than "light hearted"
      and, compared to what's on the market today, "relatively innocent."

      I felt it screamed for a sequel. It was not as bad as reading _The Mirror
      of Her Dreams_ w/o knowing there was an immediate sequel, but to me it was
      a close second. Perhaps there was a narrow escape at the end or some such
      thing that I felt needed follow-up. There were hints of dark bad guys (or
      was that bad girls?) and unrequited this and probably requited that. It
      was sweet and light and fluffy and probably fairly self-conscious. A title
      (whichI haven't read) that comes to mind as perhaps of the same era (if not
      genre) is _Coffee, Tea or Me?_ which spoofed stewardesses. I think my
      parents must have had a companion title which I have forgotten.

      Maybe that's where I got my thing for tall wild guys with horns. heh

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Joshua Kronengold
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2003
        Elizabeth Apgar Triano writes:
        >Humour is one of those very subjective things isn't it? I haven't
        >attempted _There and Back Again_ yet, because there has to be some element
        >of ... something subjective or funny ... about it, and I'm not sure I'll
        >like it.

        The Pat Murphy? It's interesting -- it ceases really being a Lord of
        the Rings parody maybe 1/2 the way through, though there are still
        occasional paralels...but it's one of those books that (like the Great
        Good Thing), I would have been unable to deal with had the rest of the
        novel been like the first few pages.

        --
        Joshua Kronengold (mneme@...) "I've been teaching |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
        --^--him...to live, to breathe, to walk, to sample the /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'