Re: Re: [mythsoc] The Forest of Forever

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 29, 2003
      In a message dated 9/29/3 3:35:25 PM, Wendell wrote:

      <<But are Thomas Burnett Swann's novels silly? I've never read any of them,
      but that's not how I've heard them described.>>

      I think it would depend a great deal on the individual reader's tastes. Many
      of Swann's stories (especially the earlier ones) can come across as a bit
      saccharine. The ones I thought were most successful were _How Are the Mighty
      Fallen_ (a fantasy version of the David and Jonathan story) and _Wolfwinter_.
      Alexei
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 30, 2003
        But are Thomas Burnett Swann's novels silly? I've never read any of them,
        but that's not how I've heard them described. I'd list all of his novels,
        but
        I've got to leave for work immediately and don't have time to look them up.

        So how HAVE you heard them described ?? Now I must know.

        I am dying to look him up on abebooks or some such, but then I'd probably
        order some, and I really can't do that right now. I will check in the used
        book shops in person when I go in a week or so, then I will be having an
        excuse to shop.

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
          In a message dated 9/30/2003 11:35:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          lizziewriter@... writes:

          > So how HAVE you heard them described ?? Now I must know.

          Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
          gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and Roman
          gods were better than anything we have today.

          Wendell

        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
            Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
            gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and
            Roman
            gods were better than anything we have today. >>

            Considering how ticked I am at organized religion at the moment, I'd be
            vulnerable to that line of argument -- except that it would have to be
            another set of gods. I am thinking a basic nature spirituality might work
            nicely.

            But seriously, maybe some of his other books were more mainstream novel
            types. I can't imagine _Forest of Forever_ carrying any such argument.
            But maybe, as a teen, I missed that level of meaning.

            Lizzie Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
              I'm getting more curious about this book; the title's intriguing, and it's
              going to be interesting to find out how "silly" it is. Oh, well, I'm going
              to the library anyway . . . . ---djb

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • alexeik@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                In a message dated 10/1/3 12:27:11 PM, Lizzie Triano wrote:

                <<But seriously, maybe some of his other books were more mainstream novel
                types. I can't imagine _Forest of Forever_ carrying any such argument.

                No, not really. His work is pretty much all of a piece, although, as I
                mentioned, his earlier work tended to be lighter and more sentimental than his later
                work. The message in his books -- if it could be called something as strong
                as that -- is that the world of Classical mythological creatures was a place
                for guilt-free sex, and as such far superior to Puritanical Christianity (one
                can easily see how, if one takes this seriously enough, it can come across as
                "silly"). However (with a very few exceptions), he usually avoids making this
                point too earnestly or heavily.
                Alexei
              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                  No, not really. His work is pretty much all of a piece, although, as I
                  mentioned, his earlier work tended to be lighter and more sentimental than
                  his later
                  work. The message in his books -- if it could be called something as strong
                  as that -- is that the world of Classical mythological creatures was a
                  place
                  for guilt-free sex, and as such far superior to Puritanical Christianity
                  (one
                  can easily see how, if one takes this seriously enough, it can come across
                  as
                  "silly"). However (with a very few exceptions), he usually avoids making
                  this
                  point too earnestly or heavily. >>

                  Which is not a bad thing certainly! Some otherwise wonderful series
                  (serieses?) have been derailed by the author's love for his or her
                  "message". Like that Holy Mole in the Duncton books, and I"m not sure
                  quite what in Lawhead's Arthurian tales.

                  I wonder, if you followed up some of these dryads and satyrs in later
                  years, if the heartaches and diseases from their guilt-free sex might give
                  a little common sense room to enter? Or I suppose they are all sharing
                  their tales of woe in some dark, smoky honky-tonk.

                  Lizzie Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                • Kevin Bowring
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                    Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                    > Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
                    > gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and
                    > Roman
                    > gods were better than anything we have today. >>
                    >
                    > Considering how ticked I am at organized religion at the moment, I'd be
                    > vulnerable to that line of argument -- except that it would have to be
                    > another set of gods. I am thinking a basic nature spirituality might work
                    > nicely.

                    I understand about being "ticked" at organized religion, but I don't think I
                    would really like gods whose actions are suitable for the front pages of the
                    tabloids.

                    Cheers,
                    Kevin
                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 2, 2003
                      I understand about being "ticked" at organized religion, but I don't think I
                      would really like gods whose actions are suitable for the front pages of the
                      tabloids. >>

                      Oh you're right of course; in a deity as well as a spouse, I prefer mystery
                      to entertainment. But as you pointed out in another post about another
                      subject, sometimes sheer entertainment value is a healthy thing too.

                      Lizzie Triano
                      lizziewriter@...
                      amor vincit omnia