Re: [mythsoc] The Forest of Forever

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 29, 2003
      In a message dated 9/29/2003 7:07:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      lizziewriter@... writes:

      > And I thought you totally abhorred "silly".

      I'm trying to guess why you think I don't like silliness. I like silliness
      in a novel. I'm sometimes bothered by silliness in a E-mail message or a
      mailing list post if the cutesiness of the message makes it hard to read. I really
      dislike it when someone tries to pass off as silliness in a message or a post
      something that is actually snide flippency, the point of which is to make fun
      of someone and then to blame them for not getting the joke if they complain.
      If I don't do silliness in my posts, that's mostly because I can't do it
      naturally. I can sometimes do elaborate absurd humor in a post, but I have to be
      careful about it, because half the time people don't understand that I'm
      joking and get mad about what they think is an offensive remark.

      But are Thomas Burnett Swann's novels silly? I've never read any of them,
      but that's not how I've heard them described. I'd list all of his novels, but
      I've got to leave for work immediately and don't have time to look them up.

    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 29, 2003
        In a message dated 9/29/3 3:35:25 PM, Wendell wrote:

        <<But are Thomas Burnett Swann's novels silly? I've never read any of them,
        but that's not how I've heard them described.>>

        I think it would depend a great deal on the individual reader's tastes. Many
        of Swann's stories (especially the earlier ones) can come across as a bit
        saccharine. The ones I thought were most successful were _How Are the Mighty
        Fallen_ (a fantasy version of the David and Jonathan story) and _Wolfwinter_.
        Alexei
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 30, 2003
          But are Thomas Burnett Swann's novels silly? I've never read any of them,
          but that's not how I've heard them described. I'd list all of his novels,
          but
          I've got to leave for work immediately and don't have time to look them up.

          So how HAVE you heard them described ?? Now I must know.

          I am dying to look him up on abebooks or some such, but then I'd probably
          order some, and I really can't do that right now. I will check in the used
          book shops in person when I go in a week or so, then I will be having an
          excuse to shop.

          Lizzie Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
            In a message dated 9/30/2003 11:35:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            lizziewriter@... writes:

            > So how HAVE you heard them described ?? Now I must know.

            Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
            gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and Roman
            gods were better than anything we have today.

            Wendell

          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
              Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
              gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and
              Roman
              gods were better than anything we have today. >>

              Considering how ticked I am at organized religion at the moment, I'd be
              vulnerable to that line of argument -- except that it would have to be
              another set of gods. I am thinking a basic nature spirituality might work
              nicely.

              But seriously, maybe some of his other books were more mainstream novel
              types. I can't imagine _Forest of Forever_ carrying any such argument.
              But maybe, as a teen, I missed that level of meaning.

              Lizzie Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                I'm getting more curious about this book; the title's intriguing, and it's
                going to be interesting to find out how "silly" it is. Oh, well, I'm going
                to the library anyway . . . . ---djb

                http://mail2web.com/ .
              • alexeik@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                  In a message dated 10/1/3 12:27:11 PM, Lizzie Triano wrote:

                  <<But seriously, maybe some of his other books were more mainstream novel
                  types. I can't imagine _Forest of Forever_ carrying any such argument.

                  No, not really. His work is pretty much all of a piece, although, as I
                  mentioned, his earlier work tended to be lighter and more sentimental than his later
                  work. The message in his books -- if it could be called something as strong
                  as that -- is that the world of Classical mythological creatures was a place
                  for guilt-free sex, and as such far superior to Puritanical Christianity (one
                  can easily see how, if one takes this seriously enough, it can come across as
                  "silly"). However (with a very few exceptions), he usually avoids making this
                  point too earnestly or heavily.
                  Alexei
                • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                    No, not really. His work is pretty much all of a piece, although, as I
                    mentioned, his earlier work tended to be lighter and more sentimental than
                    his later
                    work. The message in his books -- if it could be called something as strong
                    as that -- is that the world of Classical mythological creatures was a
                    place
                    for guilt-free sex, and as such far superior to Puritanical Christianity
                    (one
                    can easily see how, if one takes this seriously enough, it can come across
                    as
                    "silly"). However (with a very few exceptions), he usually avoids making
                    this
                    point too earnestly or heavily. >>

                    Which is not a bad thing certainly! Some otherwise wonderful series
                    (serieses?) have been derailed by the author's love for his or her
                    "message". Like that Holy Mole in the Duncton books, and I"m not sure
                    quite what in Lawhead's Arthurian tales.

                    I wonder, if you followed up some of these dryads and satyrs in later
                    years, if the heartaches and diseases from their guilt-free sex might give
                    a little common sense room to enter? Or I suppose they are all sharing
                    their tales of woe in some dark, smoky honky-tonk.

                    Lizzie Triano
                    lizziewriter@...
                    amor vincit omnia
                  • Kevin Bowring
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                      Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                      > Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
                      > gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and
                      > Roman
                      > gods were better than anything we have today. >>
                      >
                      > Considering how ticked I am at organized religion at the moment, I'd be
                      > vulnerable to that line of argument -- except that it would have to be
                      > another set of gods. I am thinking a basic nature spirituality might work
                      > nicely.

                      I understand about being "ticked" at organized religion, but I don't think I
                      would really like gods whose actions are suitable for the front pages of the
                      tabloids.

                      Cheers,
                      Kevin
                    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 2, 2003
                        I understand about being "ticked" at organized religion, but I don't think I
                        would really like gods whose actions are suitable for the front pages of the
                        tabloids. >>

                        Oh you're right of course; in a deity as well as a spouse, I prefer mystery
                        to entertainment. But as you pointed out in another post about another
                        subject, sometimes sheer entertainment value is a healthy thing too.

                        Lizzie Triano
                        lizziewriter@...
                        amor vincit omnia