Re: [mythsoc] The Forest of Forever

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 28, 2003
      In a message dated 9/28/2003 7:49:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      lizziewriter@... writes:

      > I do suspect however that you
      > furnish this information following some websearch, and not from glancing at
      > your own book shelves ?

      Well, um, actually, I did just glance at my own bookshelves. It's another of
      those books I bought years ago (heck, decades ago) and have never gotten
      around to reading. Having glanced at the title every time I moved or resuffled my
      books, I remembered the name. But, yes, I would have done a websearch if I
      hadn't happened to have owned the book.

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 29, 2003
        Well, um, actually, I did just glance at my own bookshelves. It's another
        of
        those books I bought years ago (heck, decades ago) and have never gotten
        around to reading. Having glanced at the title every time I moved or
        resuffled my
        books, I remembered the name. But, yes, I would have done a websearch if I
        hadn't happened to have owned the book. >>

        Oh Wendell! :-))) And I thought you totally abhorred "silly". It's a
        quick read... what else do you have in that genre? What else exists?

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 29, 2003
          In a message dated 9/29/2003 7:07:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          lizziewriter@... writes:

          > And I thought you totally abhorred "silly".

          I'm trying to guess why you think I don't like silliness. I like silliness
          in a novel. I'm sometimes bothered by silliness in a E-mail message or a
          mailing list post if the cutesiness of the message makes it hard to read. I really
          dislike it when someone tries to pass off as silliness in a message or a post
          something that is actually snide flippency, the point of which is to make fun
          of someone and then to blame them for not getting the joke if they complain.
          If I don't do silliness in my posts, that's mostly because I can't do it
          naturally. I can sometimes do elaborate absurd humor in a post, but I have to be
          careful about it, because half the time people don't understand that I'm
          joking and get mad about what they think is an offensive remark.

          But are Thomas Burnett Swann's novels silly? I've never read any of them,
          but that's not how I've heard them described. I'd list all of his novels, but
          I've got to leave for work immediately and don't have time to look them up.

        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 29, 2003
            In a message dated 9/29/3 3:35:25 PM, Wendell wrote:

            <<But are Thomas Burnett Swann's novels silly? I've never read any of them,
            but that's not how I've heard them described.>>

            I think it would depend a great deal on the individual reader's tastes. Many
            of Swann's stories (especially the earlier ones) can come across as a bit
            saccharine. The ones I thought were most successful were _How Are the Mighty
            Fallen_ (a fantasy version of the David and Jonathan story) and _Wolfwinter_.
            Alexei
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 30, 2003
              But are Thomas Burnett Swann's novels silly? I've never read any of them,
              but that's not how I've heard them described. I'd list all of his novels,
              but
              I've got to leave for work immediately and don't have time to look them up.

              So how HAVE you heard them described ?? Now I must know.

              I am dying to look him up on abebooks or some such, but then I'd probably
              order some, and I really can't do that right now. I will check in the used
              book shops in person when I go in a week or so, then I will be having an
              excuse to shop.

              Lizzie Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                In a message dated 9/30/2003 11:35:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                lizziewriter@... writes:

                > So how HAVE you heard them described ?? Now I must know.

                Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
                gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and Roman
                gods were better than anything we have today.

                Wendell

              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                  Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
                  gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and
                  Roman
                  gods were better than anything we have today. >>

                  Considering how ticked I am at organized religion at the moment, I'd be
                  vulnerable to that line of argument -- except that it would have to be
                  another set of gods. I am thinking a basic nature spirituality might work
                  nicely.

                  But seriously, maybe some of his other books were more mainstream novel
                  types. I can't imagine _Forest of Forever_ carrying any such argument.
                  But maybe, as a teen, I missed that level of meaning.

                  Lizzie Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                    I'm getting more curious about this book; the title's intriguing, and it's
                    going to be interesting to find out how "silly" it is. Oh, well, I'm going
                    to the library anyway . . . . ---djb

                    http://mail2web.com/ .
                  • alexeik@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                      In a message dated 10/1/3 12:27:11 PM, Lizzie Triano wrote:

                      <<But seriously, maybe some of his other books were more mainstream novel
                      types. I can't imagine _Forest of Forever_ carrying any such argument.

                      No, not really. His work is pretty much all of a piece, although, as I
                      mentioned, his earlier work tended to be lighter and more sentimental than his later
                      work. The message in his books -- if it could be called something as strong
                      as that -- is that the world of Classical mythological creatures was a place
                      for guilt-free sex, and as such far superior to Puritanical Christianity (one
                      can easily see how, if one takes this seriously enough, it can come across as
                      "silly"). However (with a very few exceptions), he usually avoids making this
                      point too earnestly or heavily.
                      Alexei
                    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                        No, not really. His work is pretty much all of a piece, although, as I
                        mentioned, his earlier work tended to be lighter and more sentimental than
                        his later
                        work. The message in his books -- if it could be called something as strong
                        as that -- is that the world of Classical mythological creatures was a
                        place
                        for guilt-free sex, and as such far superior to Puritanical Christianity
                        (one
                        can easily see how, if one takes this seriously enough, it can come across
                        as
                        "silly"). However (with a very few exceptions), he usually avoids making
                        this
                        point too earnestly or heavily. >>

                        Which is not a bad thing certainly! Some otherwise wonderful series
                        (serieses?) have been derailed by the author's love for his or her
                        "message". Like that Holy Mole in the Duncton books, and I"m not sure
                        quite what in Lawhead's Arthurian tales.

                        I wonder, if you followed up some of these dryads and satyrs in later
                        years, if the heartaches and diseases from their guilt-free sex might give
                        a little common sense room to enter? Or I suppose they are all sharing
                        their tales of woe in some dark, smoky honky-tonk.

                        Lizzie Triano
                        lizziewriter@...
                        amor vincit omnia
                      • Kevin Bowring
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
                          Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                          > Some of the things I've read said that the novels were about how the "old
                          > gods" were better. In other words, they were saying that the Greek and
                          > Roman
                          > gods were better than anything we have today. >>
                          >
                          > Considering how ticked I am at organized religion at the moment, I'd be
                          > vulnerable to that line of argument -- except that it would have to be
                          > another set of gods. I am thinking a basic nature spirituality might work
                          > nicely.

                          I understand about being "ticked" at organized religion, but I don't think I
                          would really like gods whose actions are suitable for the front pages of the
                          tabloids.

                          Cheers,
                          Kevin
                        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 2, 2003
                            I understand about being "ticked" at organized religion, but I don't think I
                            would really like gods whose actions are suitable for the front pages of the
                            tabloids. >>

                            Oh you're right of course; in a deity as well as a spouse, I prefer mystery
                            to entertainment. But as you pointed out in another post about another
                            subject, sometimes sheer entertainment value is a healthy thing too.

                            Lizzie Triano
                            lizziewriter@...
                            amor vincit omnia